NBA to stage first camp in IndiaMay 1st, 2008 - 10:49 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) The National Basketball Association (NBA) in collaboration with the Basketball Federation of India (BFI) is all set to organize ‘Basketball without Borders’, the game’s first global development and community outreach programme in India, from July 3. The three-day camp here will use basketball to influence positive social change in the country and involve current and former NBA players and team personnel to work as coaches.
Top young basketball players in the age group of up to 19 from across Asia will come together in the capital to take part in the camp.
“The NBA is pleased to partner with BFI and the Federation of International Basketball Association (FIBA) to stage the league’s first ever camp in India. We look forward to working together on the first of many activities to target basketball participation,” said Heidi Ueberroth, NBA president, global marketing partnerships and international business operations.
BFI secretary-general Harish Sharma added: “The camp will be an extraordinary opportunity to work with both the NBA and FIBA to help promote basketball in India.”
The organizers also announced that broadcaster ESPN Star Sports will provide coverage of the camp.
Since the launch of its inaugural camp in 2001, ‘Basketball without Borders’ has been held in nine countries and territories of five continents.
- NBA to stage first-ever camp in India in July - May 01, 2008
- Indian basketball's CEO Harish Sharma dead - Feb 11, 2012
- India readies for Asia U-18 basketball championship - Aug 16, 2012
- Roopam Sharma new secretary of Delhi Basketball Association - Apr 09, 2012
- India announce squad for inaugural 3x3 World Youth Basketball - Aug 26, 2011
- NBA stars will be in Delhi to popularise basketball (Lead) - Jun 04, 2008
- FIBA to announce tie-ups with Indian basketball - Jun 29, 2008
- US basketball stars to interact with Mumbai, Delhi students - Feb 17, 2011
- Basketball federation joins hands with IMG Reliance - Jun 21, 2010
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- NBA to hold first-ever event in India - Jun 04, 2008
- Military to guard NBA stars at Olympic qualifiers - Jun 09, 2012
- An indoor basketball stadium for Delhi - Jun 07, 2008
- Indian basketball coaches on US tour - Feb 19, 2012
- India to host Commonwealth Championship - Jul 06, 2008
Tags: basketball federation, basketball players, basketball without borders, bfi, broadcaster, community outreach, espn, espn star sports, five continents, former nba players, global marketing, harish, heidi ueberroth, inaugural camp, international basketball association, international business operations, launch, national basketball association, outreach programme, programme in india