NBA stars tour India for Basketball without Borders programmeJuly 6th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , July 6 (ANI): Stars of US basketball league National Basketball Association (NBA), currently touring India for ‘Basketball without Borders’ programme, pitched for the game in the cricket crazy nation.
Talking to reporters on the sidelines of a function hosted here on July 5, retired American professional basketball player in the NBA, Jacques Dominique Wilkins said that such programmes would popularize the game in India .
When asked about their agenda on the visit, Wilkins said, “Just to introduce basketball on an international level and to introduce it at different places. Kids have an opportunity to educate themselves about the game.”
Apart from NBA stars Wilkins and Sam Perkins, the current stars who are accompanying them include Linton Johnson, Kyle Korver, Pat Garrity and Ronny Turiaf.
The ‘Basketball without Borders’ Asia camp is being held in New Delhi from July 3 to July 6.
This camp that marks the NBA’s first event in India , brings together the top 50 basketball junior players from across Asia to participate in a basketball instruction and competition led by NBA players and coaches.
So far, more than 250 former and current NBA players from 30 different countries have become the members of the NBA, which has imparted training to youth in more than 100 countries. Last year, the programme ‘Basketball without Borders’ was organized in China , Brazil , France and South Africa . (ANI)
- NBA to hold first-ever event in India - Jun 04, 2008
- NBA stars pitch in to professionalise Indian basketball - Jul 04, 2008
- NBA stars will be in Delhi to popularise basketball (Lead) - Jun 04, 2008
- Five Indian junior cagers selected for NBA clinic - Jun 24, 2008
- Keith Bogans Joins Chicago Bulls? - Aug 07, 2010
- Premier US basketball league players give computer lesson - Jul 05, 2008
- Indian basketball coaches on US tour - Feb 19, 2012
- Chicago Bulls Welcome Kyle Korver - Jul 10, 2010
- Ronnie Brewer To Join Chicago Bulls - Jul 17, 2010
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- NBA lockout continues - Oct 17, 2011
- Yi Jianlian to carry flag for China in London - Jul 26, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- NBA to stage first camp in India - May 01, 2008
Tags: basketball instruction, basketball league, basketball without borders, basketball without borders asia, cricket, different places, dominique wilkins, kyle korver, linton johnson, national basketball association, nba players, nba stars, New Delhi, pat garrity, professional basketball player, ronny turiaf, sam perkins, sidelines, south africa, tour india