NBA office in Kochi?July 13th, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 13 (IANS) Kochi, along with Delhi, Kolkata and Chennai, has been short-listed by the elite National Basketball Association (NBA) of the United States for setting up its India office. P.O. Phillip, president of the Kerala Basketball Association, told IANS that a two-member delegation led by Akash Jain, NBA’s director of international development, had met him in Alappuzha two days ago to discuss the matter.
“The discussion was fruitful and I am happy to know about Kochi’s chances to have the NBA’s India office. China and Japan already have offices of NBA,” said Phillip.
Basketball, like a lot of other games, is a passion for Keralites and currently the Kerala junior teams - men and women - are the national champions. Kerala men are the runners-up at the senior level in the country.
Commenting on the biggest impediment in making Kerala a basketball hub, Phillip said: “There are very few employment avenues for basketball players. As a result, immediately after college, all the good players who are employed by various banks and the central public sector leave the state.”
If Kochi won the race and got the NBA office it would be a great boost for those involved in sports in the state, he said.
“There would be a good amount of funds at the disposal of NBA and this, in turn, would be utilised to provide excellent training for those who choose basketball as a career sport. They would also come forward to set up infrastructure facility for promoting basketball,” said Phillip.
Apart from the excellent talent available in Kerala, the state’s natural beauty is another factor that helped Kochi figure in the NBA shortlist.
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian basketball coaches on US tour - Feb 19, 2012
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- CII to set up Centre for Excellence in Kerala - Jun 22, 2012
- Deprived US youths win scholarship through basketball - Jun 26, 2011
- Former NBA star says 3-a-side game suits India - Sep 11, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Chris Bosh's 911 call for dying masseuse released - Jun 13, 2012
- Kerala's Onam gesture to migrant labour - Aug 23, 2012
- US basketball stars to interact with Mumbai, Delhi students - Feb 17, 2011
- After China, NBA sets sight on India to promote basketball - Sep 11, 2010
- Kapil Dev meets Chandy for a mega hospital project - Sep 28, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Italian vessel can sail after furnishing bond (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: akash jain, avenues, basketball players, chennai, excellent training, impediment, india office, infrastructure facility, keralites, kochi, kolkata, member delegation, national basketball association, national champions, natural beauty, nba office, public sector, runners, shortlist, thiruvananthapuram