NBA lockout continuesOctober 17th, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Oct 17 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The NBA season is in danger after officials cancelled the first two game of the season because of the protracting dispute between the owners and the NBA players. The impasse is similar to the one that kept the NFL season opening day delayed.
The officials fear that if the dispute is not settled quickly, the entire NBA season might have to be cancelled and that will be huge loss to the organization which is among the top four sport organizations in the United States.
With the future of the game now said to be in the balance, some of the players are reportedly considering going overseas to join other clubs. Basketball is a major sport in Europe and China. Some players like Manu Ginobili and Pau Gasol have signed for clubs outside the United States. Other stars like Kobe Bryant and others are also reportedly considering making moves to other leagues outside the United States.
At the core of the dispute between the club owners and the players is sharing of the revenue from the game. The players are currently entitled to 57 percent but the club owners say that arrangement needs to be changed.
With none of the sides ready to compromise, it is unlikely that the lockout will not be resolved anytime soon.
- Spain, Argentina bring high hopes to Olympic basketball - Jul 28, 2012
- NBA to cancel some more games - Oct 25, 2011
- NBA Talks resume after a long deadlock - Oct 19, 2011
- NBA talks continue on Thursday - Oct 28, 2011
- Olympic basketball: Spain, US set up rematch of Beijing final (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Pau Gasol Steals The Show In NBA Finals Game 7 - Jun 18, 2010
- Kevin Durant bags 66 points at Rucker Park - Aug 03, 2011
- Pau Gasol replaces Nadal as Spanish flagbearer - Jul 21, 2012
- Pau Gasol Saves Los Angeles Lakers - May 01, 2010
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
- Olympics: Kobe Bryant watches Federer win - Aug 04, 2012
- Denver Nuggets To Trade Carmelo Anthony To The Los Angeles Lakers? - Feb 09, 2011
- NBA Free Agency Begins On Thursday - Jul 01, 2010
- NBA Free Agency: Rudy Gay Goes To Memphis Grizzlies At $80 million - Jul 02, 2010
- Kobe Bryant is suffering from concussion - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: basketball, china, europe, four sport, game, impasse, kobe bryant, major sport, manu ginobili, nba lockout, nba players, nba season, nfl season, opening day, pau gasol, sport organizations, united states