NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to FlamengoJanuary 28th, 2012 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Jan 28 (IANS) On a mission from the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar visited Brazilian basketball club Flamengo’s athletic facilities.
Record holder of the most career points scored in the NBA, Abdul-Jabbar was recently named a cultural ambassador by the United States. In one of his first international missions, the icon came to Brazil to specifically scope out the conditions of Flamengo’s basketball facilities, Xinhua reported.
Both the men’s and women’s US national basketball teams will use Flamengo’s headquarters for practice and preparation during the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil.
While in Rio de Janeiro, Adbul-Jabbar reiterated the importance of education, saying that young athletes must always prioritize their studies, making them a smarter person on and off the court.
- Marcelinho an Olympic rookie at 37 - Jul 16, 2012
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- Brazil hope to end Olympic judo medal drought in London - May 02, 2012
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
- Britain offers help to Brazil for World Cup, Olympics - Aug 17, 2012
- Brazil to invest in individual sports to boost Olympic tally - Jul 28, 2012
- Wolfsburg reject Flamengo bid for Diego - Jun 30, 2012
- 2016 Olympic committee denies lapses in relocation of residents - Sep 28, 2011
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras - Jun 03, 2012
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Bernardinho to lead Brazil men's volleyball team until Rio 2016 - Aug 15, 2012
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: 2016 olympic games, ambassador, basketball club, basketball facilities, basketball teams, career points, flamengo, importance of education, international missions, jan 28, kareem abdul jabbar, national basketball, nba legend, olympic games, rio de janeiro, states olympic committee, united states olympic committee, usoc, xinhua, young athletes