Nawaz links Sarabjits clemency to release of prisoners by IndiaApril 29th, 2008 - 1:01 pm ICT by admin
Lahore, Apr 29 (ANI): PML-N leader and former Pakistan prime minister Nawaz Sharif has said that the death sentence of Indian national Sarabjit Singh, facing execution on charges of carrying out bomb blasts in Lahore, should be reduced to life imprisonment if India releases all Pakistani prisoners from its jails.
The prisoner should be released on a condition that if concrete evidence was found against him at a later stage, he should be sent back to Pakistan, the Daily Times quoted Nawaz as saying in an interview with Dawn News TV channel.
Nawaz asked India to inform Pakistan about the condition of Pakistani nationals held in Indian jails.
Sarabjit Singh is allegedly involved in four bomb blasts in Pakistan. He was arrested on charges of spying in 1990 and was later sentenced to death by the Lahore High Court in 2003 for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan.
Later, the Pakistan Supreme court rejected his mercy petition in 2006 and upheld his death sentence.
Sarabjit, on the other hand, has been claiming that he crossed the border and entered Pakistan accidentally. (ANI)
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: bomb blasts, clemency, concrete evidence, dawn news, death sentence, execution, jails, lahore high court, life imprisonment, mercy petition, minister nawaz sharif, news tv, pakistan supreme court, pakistani nationals, pml n, prime minister nawaz, prime minister nawaz sharif, prisoners, sarabjit singh, tv channel