Navratilova terms grunting players cheatsJune 4th, 2009 - 12:15 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 4 (ANI): Tennis legend Martina Navratilova, who won 18 grand slam titles, has called grunting female players cheats, and asked that something to be done to end the noise on court.
Navratilova used the presentation of an award for her service to the game to air her grievances to tennis leaders.
“Roger Federer doesn’t make a noise when he hits the ball — go and listen. The grunting has reached an unacceptable level. It is cheating, pure and simple. It is time for something to be done,” The Times quoted Navratilova, as saying.
The two-time French Open champion did not name any offenders. But the paper reported the assault on eardrums at the French Open this year was being led by Michelle Larcher De Brito, Victoria Azarenka, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.
Navratilova said: “I remember how it was when Monica (Seles) and I were competitors and she began to grunt. I couldn’t hear the ball. I thought to myself, ‘Do I mention it to the umpire, do I say something to her? What should I do?’ And Monica was a friend. I had to say something in the end.”
The grunting dispute with Seles began in 1992, with Navratilova complaining there was more to it than merely irritating the opposition.
The sound made by the strings of a racquet striking the ball gives the skilled player an important clue about the speed and spin of the ball they are about to face. Drowning this sound out with a loud grunt denies that information to your adversary.
“A player is in a difficult position because if they make too much of a fuss, the crowd can turn against them,” she said.
“It is the umpires who have to act because if they start enforcing the hindrance rule and give point penalties, it will soon stop. The grunts are louder and lasting well into the opponent’s strike zone,” Navratilova added. (ANI)
- Loudest grunter at Wimbledon insists she is not a cheat - Jun 22, 2009
- Evert concerned about grunting women tennis players - Jun 29, 2009
- Kvitova overpowers Sharapova to win 2001 Wimbledon title - Jul 02, 2011
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- Ronson to compose London Olympics anthem - Oct 02, 2011
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Serena Williams wins women's singles at US Open - Sep 10, 2012
- Sharapova claims grunting title during Round One at Wimbledon from de Brito! - Jun 23, 2009
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- New roof may not get rollout as heatwave hits London (Wimbledon Diary) - Jun 29, 2009
- Sharapova curses final set charity against Azarenka - Sep 08, 2012
- Williams pumps up the volume with pre-Wimbledon rock outing - Jun 20, 2010
- Seles enshrined in International Hall of Fame - Jul 12, 2009
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Bollettieri to pick young talent in India - Jul 10, 2010
Tags: adversary, eardrums, french open, french open champion, grand slam titles, grievances, grunts, larcher de brito, maria sharapova, martina navratilova, michelle larcher de brito, monica seles, roger federer, serena williams, skilled player, strike zone, tennis legend, umpire, unacceptable level, victoria azarenka