National Games: Manipur boy helps Jharkhand win aquatics goldFebruary 16th, 2011 - 6:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 16 (IANS) Jharkhand finally managed to win one gold medal in aquatics in the on-going National Games here Wednesday and the credit goes to Manipur boy Hemjit Netei.The 22-year-old Netei, representing hosts Jharkhand, won the gold in the three-metre spring board diving.
“It is a great feeling to win a gold medal. My next aim is to qualify for 2012 London Olympics,” Netei told IANS.
Of the 20 gold medals on offer from the pool, Netei’s was the only saving grace for Jharkhand.
With no swimming pools available in the run-up to the Games, swimmers were reduced to “dry practice” — lying on their back or on stomach, and flailing their arms and legs as though they were in the swimming pool.
Netei and his coah Sanjay Uttekar were happy with the swimming complex and termed it world class.
“I wish we could have practiced in this swimming pool before the Games. This is the best swimming pool in the state and will help the state to produce good swimmers,” said Netei.
Interestingly, the Jharkhand Swimming Association (JSA) has objected to champion Delhi swimmer Richa Mishra’s inclusion in the state team. Richa has bagged six gold and a silver so far in the Games for Delhi.
- Swimmers win best athlete awards at National Games - Feb 26, 2011
- Swimmer Richa Mishra now eyeing Olympic qualification - Feb 17, 2011
- Richa betters her Games record, wins ninth gold (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Jharkhand swimmers practise on the ground! - Jan 25, 2011
- Manipur top medal tally with ten wushu gold (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Borrowed players shine for Jharkhand - Feb 26, 2011
- Top medal winners of National Games - Feb 17, 2011
- Manipur remain at top with 14 wushu gold (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Swimmers ready to break CWG medal jinx - Sep 22, 2010
- Delhi's Richa Mishra wins four golds in swimming (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- National Games: Swimmer Richa Mishra finishes with 16 medals - Feb 19, 2011
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- National Games: Manipur top medal tally with ten wushu gold - Feb 15, 2011
- Olympic: Zakharov breaks Chinese dominance for diving gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, aim, arms and legs, coah, gold medal, gold medals, inclusion, jsa, national games, olympics, sanjay, saving grace, spring board, stomach, swimmer, swimmers, swimming association, swimming complex, swimming pool, swimming pools