National anti-doping body adopts WADA codeSeptember 19th, 2008 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) The newly-formed National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) at its first meeting here Friday adopted the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) code for its application in India next month. Sports minister M.S. Gill, who chaired the meeting, said: “I am very anxious to get a world class dope testing regime working in India. I have to appoint panels and all these will be done in coming days,” Gill said in a statement.
The NADA will now have to set-up a Anti Doping Disciplinary Panel, which will be headed by an eminent jurist. The panel will hear the athletes who have been tested positive and impose the sanction on athletes as per rules. An Anti Doping Appeals Panel will also be set up and it will hear appeals against the decisions of the Anti Doping Disciplinary Panel.
In addition a Therapeutic Use Exemption Committee comprising medical professionals will be constituted and it will grant exemptions to athletes who are under medication in genuine cases.
“I also intend to put on these panels, legal and medical and technical persons of high integrity so that these panels have total control and credibility in country and world. I am also separating these panels from the ministry,” Gill said.
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- Athletes can participate in CWG after suspension lifted: WADA - Sep 29, 2010
- B-samples of six wrestlers also test positive - Sep 06, 2010
- B-samples of swimmers, athletes also positive - Sep 08, 2010
- Dope tainted runners Mandeep and Juana's hearing adjourned - Jul 15, 2011
- Dope cheats must withdraw from Olympics: WADA - Jul 11, 2012
- Mandeep, Juana ask for food supplements to be examined (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Jamaica defends its anti-doping programme - Aug 18, 2012
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Provisional suspension of dope-tainted athletes lifted - Sep 22, 2010
- Government mulling new law to curb doping menace: Maken - Jul 11, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- New test detects growth hormone doping - Sep 17, 2012
- Anti doping rules approved for application in India - Sep 19, 2008