Natasha Keller German flag bearer at opening ceremonyJuly 26th, 2012 - 8:53 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, July 26 (IANS) Hockey star Natasha Keller was chosen by the German Olympic Sports Federation (DOSB) as flag bearer at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in London, the DOSB said.
Keller is the fifth woman to lead the German team at the opening ceremony, reports Xinhua.
The 35-year-old national player made a record 401 appearances, furthermore it is her fifth attendance at the Summer Olympics. In 2004 in Athens she won a gold medal as a member of the German team.
“This is a huge honour for me and a very big Olympic moment. It will be a great motivation for my team and me,” Keller said after the DOSB’s appointment.
Keller comes from well-known field hockey family with a successful Olympic past. Her grandfather Erwin Keller won silver in 1936 for Germany. Her father Carsten Keller won gold in 1972 in addition to it her brother Andreas and Florian Keller won gold in 1992 and 2008.
In 2008 Beijing Games, basketball star Dirk Nowitzki led the team into the stadium.
- Olympic hockey: Netherlands beat Argentina to defend women's title - Aug 11, 2012
- 1932 Olympics: Despite groupism India won their second gold (Sports Special) - Jul 07, 2012
- Dwyer receives FIH 'Player of the year' award - Dec 10, 2011
- Dywer, Aymar win international hockey awards - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- US women eye 5th straight Olympic basketball gold - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympics: US breaks women's 4x100m relay world record (World Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Campbell-Brown eyes Rio 2016 despite London disappointment - Aug 14, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Hockey Olympic gold medallists to get cash awards - Jun 15, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic Hockey: Tough opener for India (Preview) - Jul 29, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Asian Games: Narang battles fatigue to carry Indian flag (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Williams sisters win doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: basketball star, carsten keller, dirk nowitzki, field hockey, fifth woman, flag bearer, florian keller, german flag, german team, gold medal, hockey family, hockey star, natasha, olympic games, olympic moment, olympic sports, opening ceremony, sports federation, summer olympics, xinhua