Narine revives Windies with late wicketsJuly 26th, 2012 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
North Sound (Antigua), July 26 (IANS/CMC) Sunil Narine fought back for the West Indies in the final hour with two wickets - including Martin Guptill - in the first Test against New Zealand.
Off-spinner Narine claimed three for 73 from 28 overs, dismissing Guptill three short of his third Test hundred, as New Zealand ended the opening day at the Vivian Richards Cricket Ground on 232 for four in their first innings, reports CMC.
Narine, playing in only his second Test, emerged from a tough start to put the New Zealanders on the back-foot, after Guptill anchored the batting, Daniel Flynn and Ross Taylor scored 45 each, and Brendon McCullum made 25.
Narine transformed a hard day in the office for the West Indies, when he removed Taylor and Guptill, following their 90-run stand for the third wicket.
Narine was fortunate, when he got Taylor bowled, after the New Zealand captain chopped a delivery into his leg and the ball ricocheted onto his stumps.
The off-spinner followed up in his next over, teasing Guptill with a flighted delivery and having the lanky opener caught, trying to clear mid-on for a boundary that would have taken him to his hundred. He batted 352 minutes, faced 250 balls and struck 14 fours and one six.
Until Narine’s late intervention, the Black Caps had made most of the running, after deciding to bat on a hard, true pitch.
The West Indies were made to toil before lunch, as Guptill and fellow opener Flynn hardly placed a foot wrong, carrying New Zealand to 71 without loss at lunch.
The Windies bowled tightly early on, but the visitors’ openers played through an early period of consolidation.
New Zealand: 232 for four (Martin Guptill 97, Daniel Flynn 45, Ross Taylor 45, Brendon McCullum 25; Sunil Narine 3-73) vs West Indies
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- Shillingford nabs five but Kiwis battle to draw - Jul 23, 2012
- West Indies eye series win against Black Caps - Jul 05, 2012
- Series remains alive after West Indies crash - Jul 12, 2012
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
- Struggling Windies seek success against Black Caps (Preview) - Jun 30, 2012
- Ojha strikes twice as Kiwis struggle (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Narine bursts back as Windies clinch series - Jul 02, 2012
- Gayle, Pollard shine as Windies break winless slide - Jul 01, 2012
- Taylor's ton keeps Kiwis afloat at tea - Aug 31, 2012
- Roach leads Windies demolition of Black Caps - Aug 03, 2012
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- New Zealand gearing up to put pressure on India - Aug 19, 2012
- Lunch Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, Second Test, Day One - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: black caps, final hour, first test, guptill, mccullum, new zealanders, opening day, ross taylor, second test, spinner, stumps, third test, true pitch, vivian richards, vm, west indies, wicket, wickets, windies, zealand captain