Narang recommended for Khel Ratna, Zaheer for Arjuna AwardJuly 22nd, 2011 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 22 (IANS) India’s top shooter Gagan Narang, who bagged four gold medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, has been recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, the highest sporting award in the country, a member of the selection committee said.
Narang, who became the first Indian to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics, was repeatedly ignored for the award for the last couple of years.
The awards’ selection committee headed by legendary athlete P.T.Usha, however, decided to select the 28-year-old shooter for his consistent performance.
The recommendations have been forwarded to the sports ministry, who will officially announce the list next week.
Indian pace spearhead Zaheer Khan, footballer Sunil Chettri, Somdev Devvarman and ace badminton player Jwala Gutta have been recommended for Arjuna Awards.
Zaheer, 32, who is currently playing the Test series in England, has taken 271 Tests wickets at an average of 31.94. He has 273 ODI wickets at an average of 28.84.
Somdev, who is the highest ranked Indian singles tennis player, won a singles gold medal in the Commonwealth Games and two golds in the Asian Games. Gutta also won the women’s doubles gold medal in the Commonwealth Games with Ashwini Ponappa.
Flyweight boxer Suranjoy Singh, a Commonwealth Games gold, discus thrower Vikas Gowda, bronze medallist in the Asian Games, and long-distance runner Preeja Sreedharan, also a Asian Games gold-medallist, were recommended for the Arjun Award.
India’s first woman world champion shooter Tejaswini Sawant, Commonwealth gold medallist archer Rahul Banerjee, gymnast Ashish Kumar, silver medallist in Commonwealth Games, and Wushu player Sandhya Rani, Asian Games silver medallist, were also recommended for the Arjuna Award.
- 19 Arjuna Awards to be conferred this year - Aug 18, 2011
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Khel Ratna in bag, Narang sets sights on Olympics - Aug 29, 2011
- Two get Khel Ratna, 25 Arjuna Award - Aug 19, 2012
- A year to cherish for India's athletes (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- No regrets over missing two medals: Gagan Narang - Oct 23, 2010
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Vijay, Yogeshwar awarded Khel Ratna; Yuvraj gets Arjuna (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Padma Shri will motivate me for London Olympics, says Gagan Narang - Jan 25, 2011
- Olympic shooting: Narang to take stance amid high expectations - Aug 02, 2012
- Low-key welcome in Hyderabad for champion shuttlers - Oct 16, 2010
- Asian Games: Narang battles fatigue to carry Indian flag (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, 2012 london olympics, asian games, badminton player, bronze medallist, commonwealth games gold, commonwealth gold, consistent performance, gold medallist, gold medals, gutta, jwala, long distance runner, p t usha, rajiv gandhi, silver medallist, somdev devvarman, sports ministry, world champion, zaheer