Napoli beat Juventus to win Italian CupMay 21st, 2012 - 3:58 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 21 (IANS) Napoli football club claimed the Italian Cup after overcoming Serie A champions Juventus 2-0 Sunday.
Napoli last captured a major trophy in 1990, when they won Serie A. They last won the Cup in 1987.
It also ended Juventus’ unbeaten record in all competition this season after the Old Lady won 26 and drew 16, Xinhua reports.
In Alessandro Del Piero’s last game for Juventus, Edinson Cavani opened the scoring with a penalty kick. The strike was before the 60th minute when Ezequiel Lavezzi was brought down by Marco Storari. The Juventus goalkeeper was lucky to escape a red card. Marek Hamsik sealed the result with seven minutes left.
Also, Torino will be back in Serie A next season following an absence of three years after beating Modena 2-0. Pescara will join Torino in the top tier after a 19-year wait.
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Manchester City's hopes to progress hang in balance - Nov 23, 2011
- Juventus extend unbeaten streak to draw 3-3 with Napoli - Nov 30, 2011
- Chelsea crumble under Napoli pressure, Real held in Moscow - Feb 22, 2012
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Juventus beat Lazio to reach top of Italian Serie A - Nov 27, 2011
- Juventus down Napoli 4-2 to win Italian Super Cup - Aug 11, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Brazil winger Lucas joins PSG for 43 million euros - Aug 09, 2012
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Juventus looking for Van Persie - May 09, 2012
Tags: absence, alessandro del piero, edinson cavani, goalkeeper, italian cup, last game, lavezzi, marco storari, napoli football club, old lady, penalty kick, pescara, rome, torino, trophy, unbeaten record, xinhua