Napoli and Bologna play out intense drawFebruary 15th, 2009 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 15 (DPA) Serie A top striker Marco Di Vaio levelled the score for Bologna late Saturday as the struggling guests held Napoli to a 1-1 draw.
The 32-year-old forward scored his 16th goal this season after Christian Maggio was on target for Napoli’s short-lived lead in the first half.
The Naples side were the first to threaten with a close-range overhead volley from Ezequiel Lavezzi that goalkeeper Francesco Antonioli managed to block.
Antonioli, who hurt his nose on his prodigious save, was beaten in the 20th minute when Maggio laid in a ball squared by German Denis off a defence-splitting feed from his Argentine compatriot Lavezzi.
Only three minutes later, Bologna veteran Sergio Volpi dispossessed a dithering Leandro Rinaudo and fired a low drive that Argentina goalkeeper Nicolas Navarro failed to block, thus favouring Di Vaio’s easy flick.
The striker tried a header five minutes later as Bologna produced a good pressing and came close through a fast drive from Francesco Valiani.
A great save from Navarro on a further header from Di Vaio opened the second half, but Antonioli was crucial for Bologna making two stunning deflections to slap nasty headers from Denis.
As the game gathered speed, Navarro had to thank the woodwork in the 69th minute, when Davide Bombardini’s shot bounced off the lower face of the bar.
Earlier Saturday, struggling Torino took home one point from Lazio, holding the Rome side to a 1-1 draw after taking a first-half lead.
Napoli, who notched only two points from the last six games, and Lazio, with the same partial score, are relatively safe at mid-table.
Torino are in the three-team drop zone and Bologna lie just three points higher.
Leaders Inter Milan and AC Milan highlight the weekend late Sunday in a high-voltage city derby that offers the Devils a last chance to remain in contention for the title.
Inter have 53 points from 23 games, with Milan trailing at 45. Separately, second-place Juventus, at 46 points, welcome Sampdoria earlier Sunday.
- Inter Milan lose to Bologna - Feb 18, 2012
- AC Milan lose to Sampdoria - Aug 27, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Inter held by Atalanta at home - Mar 19, 2012
- Napoli beat Juventus to win Italian Cup - May 21, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Udinese top Serie A as Milan held by Bologna - Dec 12, 2011
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- Juventus crush Udinese, Roma beat Inter - Sep 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Lazio beat 10-man Rome in Serie A derby - Mar 05, 2012
- Chelsea crumble under Napoli pressure, Real held in Moscow - Feb 22, 2012
- Inter Milan widen lead through win over Cagliari - Feb 08, 2010
- Inter Milan remain clear at top as Sampdoria draw at Lazio - Oct 19, 2009
Tags: ac milan, bologna, compatriot, davide bombardini, drop zone, francesco antonioli, goalkeeper, high voltage, inter milan, last chance, lavezzi, mid table, navarro, rinaudo, six games, striker, target, three minutes, valiani, woodwork