Nalbandian wins into possible Barcelona test against NadalApril 23rd, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona, April 23 (DPA) Seventh seed David Nalbandian completed a hat-trick of quarter-final placings at the Barcelona Open Thursday as he beat Spain’s Nicolas Almagro 6-3, 6-4.
The Argentine also reached the last eight at the Real club in 2004 and in 2007 but stalled in the third round a year ago.
The former Wimbledon finalist is more than likely to line up against king of clay Rafael Nadal if the world number 1 came through as expected in his third-round match with Belgian Christophe Rochus.
Nadal, winner of a fifth straight title four days ago in Monte Carlo, is bidding for the same in Barcelona. He carries a 22-match win streak on clay into the contest.
Czech Radek Stepanek upended last weekend’s Monte Carlo semi-finalist Stanislas Wawrinka, putting out the Swiss eighth seed 6-4, 1-6, 7-5.
The loss to number 19 Stepanek didn’t help Wawrinka’s confidence ahead of next week’s Rome Masters where he was a finalist in 2008. Stepanek stands 3-0 in the series after beating Wawrinka at Barcelona four years ago and in a 2007 Davis Cup rubber.
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic in second round - Aug 29, 2012
- Gulbis win prevents Spanish sweep in Rome - May 01, 2010
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek crash out of Monaco Masters - Apr 21, 2012
- Chennai Open: Somdev to face Frenchman Prodon in first round - Dec 31, 2011
- Hewitt earns right to meet Nadal in French Open - May 29, 2010
- Nadal out as Davis Cup champion Spain faces France - Jul 06, 2010
- Easy win for Nadal, but Spaniard unhappy with surface in Madrid - May 10, 2012
- Monfils advances in Stockholm Open as seeds crash out - Oct 21, 2011
- Gritty Nadal does it tough for victory over Nalbandian - Mar 29, 2010
- Chennai Open: Paes, Tipsarevic advance in doubles event - Jan 05, 2012
- Verdasco win knocks Cilic, Stepankek from London race - Nov 11, 2009
- Nadal, Federer edge closer to another classic clay final - May 01, 2009
Tags: christophe rochus, confidence, david nalbandian, davis cup, dpa, eighth seed, fifth straight title, hat trick, match, monte carlo, nicolas almagro, number 1, number 19, radek stepanek, rafael nadal, rome masters, semi finalist, stanislas wawrinka, wimbledon, wimbledon finalist