Nalbandian spared more punishment for Queen’s Club incidentJune 25th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 25 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Argentine tennis player David Nalbandian will not face further discipline from the ATP for injuring a line judge at the Queen’s Club here.
Nalbandian lost the final to Marin Cilic by default after he kicked out at an advertising board, which hit the line judge on the shin, leaving a gash.
Nalbandian forfeited around $57,000 in prize money from the London event and was fined $12,500, as well as losing the ranking points he had earned by reaching the final.
“After a review of the incident, the ATP determined that although David’s actions were unacceptable and under ATP rules warranted an automatic default, the injury to the linesman was unintentional,” the ATP said in a website statement Sunday.
“As such, it was decided that the sanctions already levied against David are sufficient in this case.”
London’s Metropolitan Police have reportedly launched an investigation into the incident, but no further action has been taken.
Nalbandian, 30, reached the 2002 Wimbledon final, losing to Lleyton Hewitt 1-6, 3-6, 2-6.
The World No. 40 will face Serbian eighth seed Janko Tipsarevic in the first round at Wimbledon beginning Monday.
- Federer survives scare at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Hewitt gets wildcard for Wimbledon - Jun 13, 2012
- Ivanovic battles past McHale at Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Federer reaches Olympics quarterfinals - Aug 01, 2012
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Federer ends Youznhy's Wimbledon charge in quarters - Jul 05, 2012
- Kvitova rises to fifth in world rankings - Aug 26, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Berdych saves match point, clinches deciding tiebreak against Tipsarevic - Nov 24, 2011
- Bellucci wins second Gstaad title - Jul 22, 2012
- Olympic tennis: France earn bronze in men's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: China's Zou takes light flyweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- 2010 Chennai Open promises high-octave action - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: advertising board, atp rules, bs, david nalbandian, discipline, eighth seed, janko tipsarevic, line judge, linesman, lleyton hewitt, london event, marin cilic, metropolitan police, prize money, queen, ria novosti, sanctions, tennis player, wimbledon