Nadal tops ATP rankings - but Federer can return to topJune 22nd, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, June 22 (DPA) Rafael Nadal retained the world number one ranking in men’s tennis in the latest Association of Tennis Professional (ATP) list issued Monday but is under threat of losing it to Roger Federer as Wimbledon gets underway.
Nadal leads the way with 12,735 points from Federer (10,620) and Briton Andy Murray (9,230), but has pulled out of the grass court Grand Slam due to knee problems.
As a result, the title holder Nadal will lose 2,000 points in the next rankings issued in a fortnight. The rankings take results of 52 weeks into account.
If Federer gets a sixth Wimbledon crown July 5 he will be back on top 11 months after being dethroned by Nadal, improving his points tally by 600 points (losing 1,400 points as 2008 runner-up, but earning 2,000 as champion 2009).
ATP top 10 as of June 22 (previous ranking in parenthesis):
1. (1) Rafael Nadal, Spain, 12,735 points
2. (2) Roger Federer, Switzerland, 10,620
3. (3) Andy Murray, Britain, 9,230
4. (4) Novak Djokovic, Serbia, 7,860
5. (5) Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina, 5,730
6. (6) Andy Roddick, United States, 4,310
7. (7) Gilles Simon, France, 3,970
8. (8) Fernando Verdasco, Spain, 3,620
9. (9) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, France, 3510
10. (10) Fernando Gonzalez, Chile, 3,165
- Nadal stretches ATP lead with US Open title - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal leads in unchanged ATP top 10 - Jul 12, 2010
- Nadal continues to top tennis rankings - Jul 19, 2010
- Federer stays top, Roddick moves up in ATP rankings - Jul 13, 2009
- Nadal increases ATP rankings lead with Wimbledon trophy - Jul 05, 2010
- Record-breaking Federer back on top of ATP rankings - Jul 06, 2009
- Federer maintains ATP lead; Miami champion Roddick climbs - Apr 05, 2010
- Federer maintains big lead in unchanged ATP top 10 - Apr 12, 2010
- Nadal back on top in ATP rankings after Paris triumph - Jun 07, 2010
- Federer leads ATP rankings into Australian Open - Jan 18, 2010
- List of Roger Federer's Grand Slam titles - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer stays top of ATP tennis rankings - Nov 23, 2009
- Federer remains atop men's tennis rankings - Sep 28, 2009
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Nadal up to third in ATP rankings - Feb 15, 2010
Tags: andy murray, andy roddick, atp rankings, briton, fernando gonzalez, fernando verdasco, fernando verdasco spain, france 3, gilles simon, grass court, jo wilfried tsonga, juan martin del potro, juan martin del potro argentina, knee problems, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, simon france, wilfried, wimbledon crown