Nadal to meet Federer in semisMarch 17th, 2012 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Indian Wells (California), March 17 (IANS) World No.2 Rafael Nadal will face 16-times Grand Slam winner Roger Federer in the semi-finals of the BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells as the Spaniard overcame Argentine David Nalbandian in the quarters in three sets.
Nadal dropped his first set of the tournament as Nalbandian took the first set but the two-time champion here came back well and took the match Friday 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.
Nadal opened up a 5-2 lead in the third set, but Nalbandian recovered one break and threatened to draw level with two break point chances in the 10th game. The Spaniard stepped up to win the final four points, closing the match with a drop shot after two hours and 39 minutes.
The 25-year-old reached the semi-final stage of the tournament for a seventh straight time. He won the title in 2007 and 2009, and finished runner-up to Novak Djokovic last year.
Meanwhile, the Swiss maestro ended another Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro’s run in the tournament with a convincing 6-3, 6-2 victory.
Federer was in sublime form as he took just 69 minutes to dispose of the World No.9.
Nadal and Federer will be clashing for the 28th time overall. The Spaniard holds an 18-9 record against Federer in the career series, including a win in their most recent meeting two months ago in the Australian Open semi-finals.
- Djokovic beats Federer at Indian Wells to take world no.2 ranking - Mar 20, 2011
- Federer claims fourth Indian Wells title - Mar 19, 2012
- Indian Wells: Federer thrashes Nadal, Isner shocks Djokovic - Mar 18, 2012
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
- Nadal overcomes Tsonga, faces Murray in semis - Mar 29, 2012
- Djokovic to face Ferrer in Sony Ericsson Open quarters - Mar 28, 2012
- Djokovic cruises past Ferrer in Miami - Mar 30, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- US Open: Nadal ousts Murray, sets up final clash with Djokovic - Sep 11, 2011
- Australian Open: Nadal overcomes Berdych, to meet Federer in semis (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Indian Wells: Federer to face Del Potro in quarters - Mar 15, 2012
- Federer erases doubts with battling win over Berdych - Aug 14, 2010
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: australian open, bnp paribas, break point, california march, career series, david nalbandian, final four, four points, grand slam winner, indian wells california, juan martin del potro, maestro, march 17, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, roger federer, semi finals, spaniard, straight time, time champion