Nadal to consult a specialist for knee painJune 7th, 2009 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Barcelona, June 7 (DPA) Rafael Nadal’s Wimbledon title defence starting in a fortnight could hinge on an early-week doctor’s visit after the world No.1 withdrew from the Queen’s club grass event starting Monday in London.
Nadal’s uncle and coach Toni Nadal told Spanish radio that his nephew will meet a specialist for diagnosis.
“We’ll go to Barcelona to see what the problem is. I am not too optimistic. But if there is a possibility for him to take part in one the world’s greatest tournaments, he will.”
The senior Nadal said his nephew, drummed out of the French Open after four titles a week ago by Swede Robin Soderling is “very affected by this.”
Nadal as a history of knee worries, due partly to his athletic game style which puts stress on the joints. He did not play the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai last November after pulling out at Paris Bercy with knee tendinitis.
Spanish media said the current pain is not part of the tendinitis problem.
Toni Nadal said that the knee situation has been slowly deteriorating over recent weeks as his nephew played his usual gruelling clay schedule, winning titles at Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome over the space of three consecutive weeks.
Last year at Wimbledon, Nadal dethroned Roger Federer, after the Swiss had won the last five editions at the All England club, in a five-set thriller called by many the best ever played.
- Wimbledon: Cautious Nadal on guard as right knee worrisome - Jun 27, 2010
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Nadal confesses knee fears, doubts successful return to tennis - Jul 29, 2009
- Uncle Toni says Nadal will return next week in Montreal - Aug 04, 2009
- Clay king Nadal lifts emphatic fifth title in Paris (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Nadal sweeps to second Wimbledon trophy with dream victory (Night Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Nadal storms past Berdych for second Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Knee problem forces Nadal to withdraw from Barcelona Open - Apr 20, 2010
- Toni Nadal slams anti-Rafa Paris crowds (French Open diary) - Jun 03, 2009
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal set to return to action with Montreal Masters - Jul 15, 2009
- Kuznetsova to miss US Open for 'recovery' - Aug 21, 2012
- Knee injury could keep Nadal out of Wimbledon - Jun 07, 2009
- Roddick knee injury to keep him from London finals field - Nov 18, 2009
Tags: athletic game, clay schedule, consecutive weeks, england club, fortnight, french open, game style, knee pain, knee tendinitis, last november, paris bercy, rafael nadal, robin soderling, roger federer, spanish media, spanish radio, swede, title defence, wimbledon, wimbledon title