Nadal says he does not have Federers number just yetFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb.2 (ANI): Australian Open champion Rafael Nadal refuses to believe he has Roger Federer’’s number just yet, despite continuing his grand slam dominance over the so-called greatest player ever.
Nadal’’s gripping 7-5 3-6 7-6 (7-3) 3-6 6-2 Australian Open final triumph on Sunday night not only denied Federer a record-equalling 14th career major - but also took the 22-year-old’’s own tally to six.
The Spaniard has taken just 20 tournaments to accrue his half-dozen, with only Bjorn Borg - who needed 18 events - stacking up his first six slams in quicker fashion.
Nadal also joined Andre Agassi as the only other man in the 41-year open era to land majors on three different surfaces - clay, grass and hard courts - after posting his fifth consecutive victory over his demoralised Swiss rival.
Still, on Monday the modest Mallorcan was perhaps the only man in Melbourne not wondering whether he - not Federer - was the player treading the path to tennis immortality.
“Right now he has 56 titles, something like this. I have 32. So, it’’s a lot different. He has 13 grand slams. I have six. The Masters Cup, he has won four. I have not won one. So, there’’s no discussion, the Herald Sun quoted Nadal, as saying.
“I say right now Roger is the best because he has all these titles. Maybe later (I can be). The rankings show I was the best player in the last year. That’’s the truth. But I am not the best player, ok,” he said.
“I love to win. I love the competition. Not only in tennis, I love the competition in all aspects of life. When I compete, I love to be there and fight for win. Maybe I love more the fight to win, than (to) win,” Nadal said. (ANI)
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Grand Slam tennis: Nadal needs to be wary as Federer not dead yet - Jan 16, 2011
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Youzhny to reach first US Open final - Sep 12, 2010
- Djokovic predicts Nadal to be world's best ever tennis star - Sep 15, 2010
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal overpowers Federer to reach Australian Open final - Jan 26, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Oz Open: Federer is still blowing hot and cold - Jan 24, 2011
- Doubles best bet for India in French Open - May 22, 2011
Tags: andre agassi, aspects of life, australian open, australian open champion, best player, bjorn borg, consecutive victory, dominance, feb 2, grand slams, grass, herald sun, immortality, majors, mallorcan, melbourne, rafael nadal, roger federer, spaniard, tally