Nadal relaxed as he plays for Paris history (French Open diary)May 24th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 24 (DPA) No one has to tell Rafael Nadal that he’s playing for history as he targets a record fifth consecutive French Open title.
But the Spaniard cannot be worried by the weight of the record books and has come to Paris ready to just concentrate on his tennis in a special ambience.
“It’s happy to be here, it’s always a pleasure be in this very nice city. Coming back to Roland Garros is a special sensation,” Nadal said.
The champion would be the first to win five trophies in a row. The 22-year-old is the first man since Mats Wilander in 1982, to win Roland Garros on his debut, back in 2005.
Federer always finds his comfort zone in Paris
Multi-lingual Roger Federer is totally in his element during the French Open as the number two makes another run at the Roland Garros title which has been denied to him by Rafael Nadal three times.
Speaking the language makes all the difference for the Swiss, who is fluent in four tongues.
“I felt like it’s hard to get around sometimes in Madrid, for instance, where I don’t speak the language,” Federer said.
“I don’t go to many countries where I don’t speak the language. And if not, then they do speak quite good English. Spain is a bit more difficult because Spanish is a such a big language in the world. It made it a bit harder.”
But Federer overcame that minor problem as he beat Nadal on clay for the first time in two years to win the Madrid title and come to Paris with a lift in his game.
The 13-time Grand Slam champion has been preparing lightly for his opening match against Brazilian qualifier Marcos Daniel, not over-working at the start of the fortnight.
“At this stage, it’s just about, you know, pacing myself, and doing the right things,” said the Swiss.
- List of French Open winners in last 10 years - Jun 11, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Agassi favours Nadal for French Open title - Jun 05, 2011
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- French Open final postponed to Monday - Jun 11, 2012
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crown - May 26, 2012
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Hewitt earns right to meet Nadal in French Open - May 29, 2010
- Clay king Nadal lifts emphatic fifth title in Paris (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
Tags: ambience, comfort zone, first man, fortnight, french open, french open diary, french open title, grand slam champion, marcos daniel, mats wilander, may 24, nice city, paris history, rafael nadal, record books, roger federer, roland garros, spaniard, tongues, trophies