Nadal overcomes Tsonga, faces Murray in semisMarch 29th, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Miami (Florida), March 29 (IANS) World No.2 Rafael Nadal had to battle hard to overcome Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and set up a semi-final clash with Briton Andy Murray at the Sony Ericsson Open tennis tournament.
The Spaniard was made to toil hard Wednesday in the quarters as he won 6-2, 5-7, 6-4 in two hours and 50 minutes.
Nadal looked to have wrapped the match when he led 5-4 i the second set, serving for the match. But Tsonga broke Nadal’s serve, winning three games in a row to take the match into the third set.
The third set too was a close affair as both players held their serve until the ninth game. Tied at 4-4, Nadal broke the Frenchman, leaving him in the same situation as the second set, serving for the match at 5-4.
“I didn’t play very well tonight,” Nadal was quoted as saying by the ATP website.
“I think I started the match playing really well, but later when I had the break in the second [set], I started to play more defensive. My feeling was Jo was having much more mistakes than usual, so the match didn’t have the right rhythm.”
Nadal, who is a three-time finalist here, said that he was excited to play Murray and felt that he needed to recover quickly.
“Playing Andy is a pleasure for me, and exciting playing against a player like him [who] pushes you [to] the limit on everything,” Nadal said. “The negative thing is I have to recover well.”
The Spaniard leads 13-5 in a head to head between the two players, but Murray beat Nadal in the latest encounter at Tokyo.
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- Federer to take on Tsonga in Paris final - Nov 13, 2011
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Berdych knocks out Murray, meets Federer in semis, Djokovic pulls out - Nov 12, 2011
- US Open: Nadal ousts Murray, sets up final clash with Djokovic - Sep 11, 2011
- Djokovic pips Nadal to win longest Grand Slam final - Jan 29, 2012
- World Tour Finals: Nadal wins three-hour battle with Fish - Nov 21, 2011
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Federer adds more records on way to London final - Nov 27, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic edges out Murray, meets Nadal in final - Jan 28, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Murray vows to rock Nadal's Wimbledon title hopes - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: andy murray, atp website, briton, clash, encounter, ericsson open tennis, florida march, frenchman, jo wilfried tsonga, miami florida, open tennis tournament, pleasure, quarters, rafael nadal, rhythm, semis, sony ericsson open tennis, spaniard, three games, wilfried