Nadal, Federer brush up unique self-portraits for charitySeptember 26th, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 26(ANI): Tennis stars Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have created their own unique self-portraits, by smashing paint-covered tennis balls at a giant canvas, which will be exhibited at London’s O2 arena and then auctioned for charity.
Each canvas was overlaid with a stencilled image which, when removed, revealed their signature move on court.
The artwork was commissioned by the sport’s governing body ahead of November’s World Tour Finals in London.
Talking about the initiative, Nadal said that it was a challenge to put the balls on the silhouette.
“Making the artwork was fun and something I’ve never done before. It’s a great way to celebrate the World Tour Finals coming back to London,” News of The World quoted Nadal, as saying.
“Last year the crowd and the stadium were amazing although I didn’t play my best tennis. Hopefully this year I will arrive playing well again and will try to do my best in front of the London fans who add such a special feeling to the event,” he added.
Meanwhile, Federer, who has qualified for the event for a ninth consecutive year, said: “It was great fun being invited to create my self-portrait - it was not so easy to hit from a long way back, but I think I did a good job.” (ANI)
- Adele, Cowell paint portraits for Queen - Apr 09, 2012
- Somdev eyes Olympic spot, top-50 position in 2012 - Dec 26, 2011
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait sells for $17 million - Feb 17, 2011
- Catherine to gift her portrait to Price William - Apr 09, 2012
- Iconic Raphael self portrait under scrutiny after identical painting surfaces - Jan 28, 2011
- Federer says Olympics tougher than a Grand Slam - Jul 27, 2012
- Andy Warhol's self-portrait to fetch $40m at NY auction - Apr 22, 2011
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Winslet stunned by response to charity project - May 11, 2012
- I dare to dream: Djokovic - Feb 07, 2012
- My game has matured: Berdych - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: artwork, charity, crowd, giant canvas, good job, governing body, initiative, london news, news of the world, o2, paint, rafael nadal, roger federer, self portrait, self portraits, signature move, silhouette, tennis balls, tennis stars