Nadal faces huge battle to complete career Grand Slam at US OpenJuly 6th, 2010 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jul 6 (ANI): World No.1 and Wimbledon champion Rafa Nadal has said that he faces a huge battle to complete his career Grand Slam at the US Open, - despite the backing of tennis legend John McEnroe.
Nadal, who won Wimbledon for the second time on Sunday, now aims to become only the seventh man to land all four Majors.
Roger Federer, Andre Agassi, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver, Don Budge and Fred Perry are the six who have triumphed in Melbourne, Paris, London and New York.
Nadal, 24, who has also won the Australian and French Open titles, has never gone beyond the semi-finals at Flushing Meadows, with the concrete surface of the US Open being least forgiving on his limbs, as he suffers from tendinitis.
“I hope to be ready, to be healthy. Last year, I had abdominal trouble, two years ago I was totally exhausted in the semi-final with Murray after the Olympics and winning here at Wimbledon,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
“This year things might be a bit different. Now the most important thing is to rest then have three weeks like a pre-season practice in the US,” he said. (ANI)
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Nadal completes career Grand Slam with US Open victory (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal wins US Open for career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- Nadal wins US Open to seal career Grand Slam - Sep 14, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Ferrer crushes Nadal's 'Rafa Slam' dreams with straight-set Oz Open win - Jan 26, 2011
- Tennis players with all Grand Slam titles - Jun 07, 2009
- Federer wins French Open to complete Grand Slam - Jun 07, 2009
- Murray vows to rock Nadal's Wimbledon title hopes - Jul 01, 2010
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
Tags: andre agassi, career grand slam, concrete surface, don budge, fred perry, french open, john mcenroe, legend john, majors, open titles, paris london, rafa nadal, rod laver, roger federer, roy emerson, second time, semi finals, tennis legend, wimbledon, wimbledon champion