Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead)June 9th, 2012 - 1:28 am ICT by IANS
Paris, June 8 (IANS) World No.1 Noval Djokovic crushed Roger Federer in the French Open semi-final here Friday to set-up a title clash with title holder and six-time champion Rafael Nadal.
Nadal thrashed fellow Spaniard David Ferrer 6-2, 6-2, 6-1 in the semifinals Friday to move within only one win away from the seventh-title record at Roland Garros.
World No.1 Djokovic is also a win away from creating history. The Serbian, who won 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 against the 2009 champion for his first French Opnen final, is just a win away from a slice of history.
With the Wimbledon, US Open and Australian Open titles already in his possession, Djokovic, if he wins Sunday’s final, will become only the third man in history to hold all four Grand Slam trophies at the same time.
Nadal, whose only loss here came in the fourth round in 2009, put on a daunting performance to break sixth seed Ferrer seven times througout the match.
“I probably played my best match here at Roland Garros this year,” said Nadal.
“I am sorry for David to lose like this. He is one of my best friends on the tour and one of the best claycourters. It was a fantastic match for me and I am so happy to be in another final at Roland Garros,” Nadal said.
Djokovic knows that Sunday’s task will be even harder than the semi-final win over Federer.
“I am happy to be in the final here, it’s always difficult to play against Roger,” said Djokovic.
“It’s a dream to be in the final, but Rafa, who always plays so well here, will be the favourite.”
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Nadal beats Youzhny to reach first US Open final - Sep 12, 2010
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Loss came at the bad moment, says Djokovic - Jun 04, 2011
- French Open final postponed to Monday - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: australian open, australian open titles, david ferrer, fellow, french open, match, noval, one of my best friends, possession, rafael nadal, roger federer, roland garros, serbian, seven times, sixth seed, third man, time champion, title clash, trophies, wimbledon