Nadal advances to US Open semi-finalsSeptember 10th, 2010 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Sept.10 (ANI): Top seed Rafael Nadal advanced to the US Open semi-finals by defeating eighth-seeded Spanish compatriot Fernando Verdasco 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 on Thursday, stretching his Grand Slam win streak to 19 matches.
Nadal, seeking his first US Open title to complete a career Grand Slam, will play on Saturday for a finals berth against Russian 12th seed Mikhail Youzhny, who outlasted Swiss 25th seed Stanislas Wawrinka 3-6, 7-6 (9/7), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Nadal has reached his third consecutive US Open semi-final, but has never reached the championship match, losing to Britain’s Andy Murray in 2008 and eventual winner Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina last year.
“It was a very important victory,” Nadal said. “It’s a very nice feeling to be in the semifinals third time in a row in one of the most important tournaments in the world, for me right now probably the most important.”
Nadal, 24, seeks his ninth career Grand Slam title and third in a row in 2010 after Wimbledon and the French Open. Only Roger Federer, Pete Sampras and Rod Laver have won three Slams in a row in the Open Era that began in 1968. (ANI)
- Nadal 'blows away' Verdasco to storm into US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Triumphant Nadal blows past Verdasco and closer to final - Sep 10, 2010
- Youzhny claims epic win to set US Open semi-final against Nadal - Sep 10, 2010
- Triumphant Nadal paces Spain into US Open quarter-finals - Sep 08, 2010
- Nadal reaches first US Open final, to face Djokovic - Sep 12, 2010
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Nadal beats Youzhny to reach first US Open final - Sep 12, 2010
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Australian Open: Top seeds advance to second round (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Djokovic shatters dream final with knockout of Federer - Sep 12, 2010
- Federer, Djokovic reach quarters of Australian Open - Jan 23, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Ferrer crushes Nadal's 'Rafa Slam' dreams with straight-set Oz Open win - Jan 26, 2011
- Nadal sends new father Simon home; Stan slams Murray - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: andy murray, career grand slam, compatriot, fernando verdasco, finals berth, french open, grand slam title, juan martin del potro, mikhail youzhny, nice feeling, pete sampras, rafael nadal, rod laver, roger federer, semi finals, stanislas wawrinka, third time, three slams, victory, wimbledon