Mystery woman in Indian contingent a cast member, says Coe (Lead)July 30th, 2012 - 1:13 am ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) The mystery woman who gatecrashed the opening ceremony of the London Games Friday night with the Indian contingent was a cast member “should not have been there,” Sebastian Coe, the London Olympics organising committee chairman, said Sunday.
“I hear she was a cast member who got slightly overexcited. She should not have been there. But don’t run away with the idea that she just walked in. We’ll look at it for next opening ceremony,” said Coe.
The appearance of a mystery woman in the Indian contingent at the opening ceremony of the London Olympics has infuriated the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), which has asked the organisers to thoroughly probe the incident.
Indian media reports Sunday identified the woman in a bright red top, walking alongside Indian flag bearer Sushil Kumar, as Bangalore-based Madhura Honey.
“There is no mysterious girl. The incident just exposes the tall claims made by the organisers regarding security. Just imagine if this had happened in India that a person without any accreditation had walked ino the main arena, that too along with a contingent … all hell would have broken out in this side of the planet,” an IOA spokesperson said.
“IOA has filed a complaint and is waiting for a reply from London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games (LOCOG). Some say the girl was a volunteer. Even if that was the case, how did she manage to sneak in without an accreditation card hanging around her and if she was security cover, then she had no business to be walking in front of the contingent hogging all the limelight,” the official said.
- Mystery woman identified, IOA demands investigation - Jul 29, 2012
- LOCOG apologises to India for opening ceremony incident - Aug 01, 2012
- Paralympic torch and relay route unveiled - Mar 01, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- London Olympic contingency tickets to go on sale - May 09, 2012
- Increase in 2012 Olympics budget is investment for London's future: Coe - Dec 12, 2011
- Paralympic Games: Over 70,000 new tickets go on sale - Aug 27, 2012
- Coe hails Olympic test events a success - May 10, 2012
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- London Paralympics open in 'journey of discovery' - Aug 30, 2012
- 2012 London Olympics torch relay to pass through 1,000 places - Nov 07, 2011
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- IOC defends Dow, IOA doesn't agree (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Seb Cole promises London will not become 'siege city' during Games - Dec 29, 2011
- Olympic gatecrasher now hogs limelight in virtual world (Olympic diary) - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: accreditation, cast member, committee chairman, contingent, flag bearer, indian flag, indian olympic association, ioa, limelight, london games, london olympics, mysterious girl, mystery woman, opening ceremony, organisers, organising committee, paralympic games, sebastian coe, spokesperson, sushil kumar