Mutatkar, Bhat clinch national badminton singles titlesJanuary 10th, 2011 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Rohtak, Jan 10 (IANS) Aditi Mutatkar ended unseeded Arundhati Pantwane’s dream run 19-21, 23-21, 21-15 to win the women’s singles title in the 75th Senior National Badminton Championship here Monday.
In the men’s singles final, Arvind Bhat defeated ace shuttler Parupalli Kashyap 21-13, 21-17 to clinch the title.
In the mixed doubles final, second-seeded Pranav Chopra and Prajakta Sawant defeated the top seeded pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan 18-21, 21-11, 21-13 in a close tussle.
Defending champions Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas defeated third seeded Manu Attaree and Jishnu Sanyal 21-15, 21-9. Kumar and Thomas dominated the match throughout and went on to clinch the men’s doubles title seventh time in a row.
In another close encounter, top seeded Aparna Balan and Prajakta Sawant beat Prandnya Gadre and P. Jyothsna 13-21, 21-19, 21-15 in the women’s doubles.
The champions were awarded a Maruti SX4 each by the DLF group, the main sponsor of the tournament.
Chief minister of Haryana, Bhupinder Singh Hooda was the chief guest at the closing ceremony.
Noted former and present Indian players, Pullela Gopichand, Prakash Padukone, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa were honoured on the occasion.
- Asian Games: Indian men, women lose in badminton team event - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games badminton: Jwala-Ashwini in doubles pre-quarters - Nov 16, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh, Sai Datt keep India's hopes alive (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Asian Games badminton: Jwala-Ashwini bow out in pre-quarters (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Riya to face Mutatkar in Maharashtra badminton final - Jul 29, 2012
- India Open Super Series: Sourabh upsets Sony Dwi Kuncoro - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes shock first round exit (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India Open: Chetan advances to quarters, Jayaram falls short - Jun 10, 2010
- Indian Open: Jayaram, Parupalli advance to second round - Apr 25, 2012
- Asian Games: Narang shines on day one, Bindra, Rajput unlucky (Evening Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian shooters win silver, badminton teams lose (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- India Open Super Series: Gurusai Datt pulls off second upset of day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- CWG Badminton: Kashyap advances to second round - Oct 10, 2010
- Sudirman Cup: India lose 2-3 to Chinese Taipei - May 22, 2011
- CWG badminton: Saina, Chetan move to third round - Oct 10, 2010
Tags: aditi, aparna balan, arundhati, arvind, ashwini, bhupinder singh hooda, chief guest, chief minister, close encounter, dlf group, gopichand, gutta, haryana, jwala, maruti sx4, mixed doubles, prajakta, prakash padukone, seventh time, vishnu