Murray’s maiden major title can come at Wimbledon: FedererJune 9th, 2009 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 9 (ANI): Tennis great Roger Federer, who cemented his place in the history books as he became only the sixth man to complete a full set of major titles, believes Andy Murray’s maiden major title could come at Wimbledon next month.
Federer is a strong favourite to win Wimbledon this year after he equalled Pete Sampras’ overall record of 14 grand slam titles by winning French Open.
Federer knows that reclaiming his crown will not be easy, especially with Murray improving fast. “Andy Murray’s best surface might be grass - I think he’s playing excellent,” The Guardian quoted him, as saying.
Murray begins his preparations in earnest on Wednesday when he plays the Italian world No.48, Andreas Seppi, in the second round of the Aegon Championship at Queen’s Club in London.
In the absence of Nadal, the Scot is the No.1 seed here and is in good heart after his run to the quarterfinals at the French Open. He would do well not to take Seppi lightly, though.
“I actually lost to him the only time we played on grass in Nottingham a few years ago,” Murray said.
“He is an experienced player but I’ve played well on grass the last few years so if I can start well I’ve got a good chance. I haven’t had that much preparation, so I need to be realistic about my chances and just try and focus from the first match. The grass takes a few days to get used to, but I’ve felt good practising on it so far.” (ANI)
- Wimbledon: Somdev, Sania to shoulder India's singles challenge - Jun 19, 2011
- Wimbledon: Somdev, Sania to spearhead India's singles challenge (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
- 'This year's been very patchy', admits Murray - Jun 01, 2010
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- US Open: Somdev hopes to play a competitive match against Murray (Preview) - Aug 28, 2011
- Murray vows to rock Nadal's Wimbledon title hopes - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Wimbledon has brought the best out in me': Murray - Jun 28, 2010
- Federer turns 29, motivated for 2010 second-half turnaround - Aug 09, 2010
- Federer expects to regain top spot with another Grand Slam title - May 07, 2012
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Murray should focus on winning first Grand Slam title: Borg - Jul 04, 2010
- Hewitt still hoping to snare another major title - Jun 21, 2010
- Fish wears down Murray to earn upset win - Aug 21, 2010
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
Tags: aegon, andreas seppi, andy murray, few days, french open, good chance, good heart, grand slam titles, grass, guardian, history books, italian world, match, pete sampras, quarterfinals, queen, roger federer, scot, sixth man, wimbledon