Murray’s defeat at the hands of Nadal in Wimbledon 2008 secret behind his fitnessJune 22nd, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): World No. 3 Andy Murray has revealed how his Wimbledon exit in 2008 at the hands of Rafael Nadal turned him into one of the fittest players in the world.
Murray said his loss to Nadal in last year’s Wimbledon quarterfinal was the moment he stepped up his fitness training.
The British ace had already made great strides with his fitness by the time he faced Nadal in the quarter-finals 12 months ago, but was left in no doubt there was still more hard work to be done.
Nadal powered his way to a 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Murray on Centre Court in 2008, The Telegraph reported.
That decision paid huge dividends, with Murray going on to win his first Masters series title in Cincinnati and reach his first grand slam final at the US Open.
“Beating Richard Gasquet in the fourth round last year was a great match to be involved in, but I lost to Nadal comfortably in the next round. I actually went away for three or four weeks after that and trained really, really hard over in the States, down in Miami in really warm conditions,” Murray said.
“I realised that I was in good shape then, but I lost to someone like Rafa, who’s probably one of the best athletes to ever play tennis (and) I needed to improve that side of my game.
“It was after Wimbledon I pushed on. I just learnt a lot from the loss to Rafa. I realised I needed to get fitter and stronger. I went away and worked on it,” he added.
Murray comes into Wimbledon as one of the favourites for the title, especially with Nadal out through injury and after winning his first tournament on grass at Queen’s Club earlier this month. (ANI)
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Nadal struggles, Federer walks through as top four advance - Aug 20, 2010
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Murray vows to rock Nadal's Wimbledon title hopes - Jul 01, 2010
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Murray beats Nadal to win Japan Open - Oct 09, 2011
- Djokovic, new king of tennis in 2011 - Dec 21, 2011
- Federer loses to Berdych, seventh Wimbledon title hopes evaporate (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Could be Murray's US Open moment if he keeps a New York state of mind: Rusedski - Aug 28, 2010
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: 12 months, ace, andy murray, cincinnati, dividends, favourites, good shape, grand slam, grass, great strides, masters series, no doubt, quarter finals, quarterfinal, rafa, rafael nadal, richard gasquet, telegraph, victory, wimbledon