Murray will win Wimbledon this year, says doubles legend FlemingApril 7th, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 7 (ANI): England’s No.1 tennis player Andy Murray has been tipped to win Wimbledon this year by doubles legend Peter Fleming.
John McEnroe’s former playing partner believes in-form Murray looks unbeatable right now.
The 21-year-old Scot equalled Tim Henman’s career haul of 11 titles on Sunday by beating world No.3 Novak Djokovic in the final of the Miami Masters, the tournament unofficially considered as the fifth Grand Slam.
“Andy Murray has the game to be No.1 in the world - he just needs to refine it. At the moment, on hard court over three sets, he is the best. He was too strong for Djokovic and players think Andy is right up there with Federer and Nadal - they don’t enjoy playing him,” Fleming said.
“Andy has to improve on clay. At the French Open Nadal is king, but as for Wimbledon, he has a chance of winning,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
Murray will play in Monte Carlo, Rome and Madrid before heading to Roland Garros at the end of May.
“I want to do better than I did on clay last year. I want to reach the quarter-finals of one of the big tournaments. I have found playing on clay tough in recent years but have definitely improved over the last year,” Murray said.
“It has been a great few weeks for me. I have put in a lot of hard work on my fitness and this month it has paid off. I have had physical reserves I didn’t have before. In these sort of conditions, this is why you put the work in.” (ANI)
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crown - May 26, 2012
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Djokovic: Taking on Nadal in French Open final is ultimate challenge - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal wins record seventh French Open (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- Nadal beats Murray, to meet Djokovic in Wimbledon final (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Loss came at the bad moment, says Djokovic - Jun 04, 2011
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Djokovic, Tsonga survive scare - Jul 30, 2012
- Murray needs to acquire in your face attitude to win Grand Slam: Henman - Dec 01, 2010
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: andy murray, federer, fitness, french open, game, grand slam, john mcenroe, london, madrid, masters, monte carlo, novak djokovic, peter fleming, quarter finals, roland garros, rome, scot, tennis player, tim henman, wimbledon