Murray will not be 2010 French Open champion, says BeckerMay 23rd, 2010 - 5:07 pm ICT by ANI
Paris, May 23(ANI): Former German tennis player Boris Becker insists that despite British tennis champion Andy Murray made the quarter-finals at French Open last season, he is still regarded as vulnerable on the terracotta courts.
“Clay just isn’t his surface yet,” The Telegraph quoted Becker, as saying.
“Even though Murray has made improvements during the clay-court season - he had no confidence in his game when he lost his opening match in Monte Carlo, but he won a match in Rome, and he was a quarter-finalist in Madrid - he is still some way off being a challenger on the surface.
“I think that even though he can win some matches in Paris, he’s not going to be the French Open champion. I would be very surprised if Murray wins in Paris,” he added.
A six-time Grand Slam singles champion, Becker further said that Murray must win a few rounds in Paris if he has to prepare for a successful English grass-court season, starting with next month’s Wimbledon.”He has to turn the motor back on, and realise that Wimbledon starts for him at the French Open. If he can win some matches in Paris, that’s going to help in London,” Becker said.
“This year, he has been struggling on hard courts, his best surface, as well as on clay courts. He needs to win some matches in Paris and have a decent French Open if he is to consider himself to be back,” he added. (ANI)
- Murray has two years to win grand slam title: Becker - Jan 16, 2011
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Williams survives scare to beat Shvedova - Jul 02, 2012
- Federer routs Kohlschreiber in Monte Carlo Masters - Apr 13, 2011
- Samantha Stosur awarded Newcombe medal - Dec 06, 2011
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- Andy Murray wary of Gasquet threat in French Open opener - May 22, 2010
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Azarenka eases into 3rd round at French Open - May 31, 2012
- Murray all set for grass (French Open diary) - Jun 04, 2009
- Supreme Nadal stops Federer in Madrid - May 17, 2010
- Federer says French Open loss will help him be at his fiery best at Wimbledon - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: andy murray, boris becker, british tennis, challenger, clay court, clay courts, few rounds, french open, french open champion, german tennis player, grand slam, grass court, improvements, match, monte carlo, quarter finalist, quarter finals, telegraph, tennis champion, wimbledon