Murray pulls out of Tour finals, Tipsarevic replaces himNovember 23rd, 2011 - 2:42 am ICT by IANS
London, Nov 23 (IANS) World number three Andy Murray has pulled out of the ATP World Tour Finals with a groin injury.
The British number one, who strained the muscle in training Nov 14 had a recurrence in Monday’s defeat at the hands of David Ferrer of Spain at London’s O2 Arena.
“I was told to take a week to 10 days completely off, I just didn’t have enough time to recover,” BBC quoted the disappointed Scot as saying.
“I was probably going to do myself more damage playing than not.”
Murray was to practise at 1300 GMT (6.30 IST) Tuesday, but he failed to turn up and instead a hurriedly convened press conference saw the Scot announce his decision to pull out. He has been replaced by world number nine Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia.
“When I came off the court (Monday), I was very disappointed and upset,” said the 24-year-old Murray.
“I said we’d see how I feel when I woke today up but I was never going to feel great. You hope things are going to get better, but in reality that wasn’t ever going to happen.
“I woke up this morning still sore, came in and was going to hit. We chatted for about two hours - about when I was going to be practising, what I should do, what the right thing to do was.”
“I had some food, we spoke more about it. I was just trying to find reasons why I should try to play.”
“But there was no real positive, of coming out and playing, because yesterday I was really unhappy on the court. I wasn’t enjoying it at all.”
Murray will return to action at the Brisbane International which begins New Year’s Day.
The Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year, follows Jan 16.
Tipsarevic, who has a narrow lead over Nicolas Almagro in the rankings to secure his spot as first reserve for the tournament, said he had expected to play here.
- Berdych saves match point, clinches deciding tiebreak against Tipsarevic - Nov 24, 2011
- Ferrer thrashes Djokovic to reach semis at ATP final - Nov 24, 2011
- Berdych seals semis berth in World Tour Finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Bellucci wins second Gstaad title - Jul 22, 2012
- Chennai Open: Soeda stuns Wawrinka; Tipsy survives Belgian challenge - Jan 07, 2012
- Chennai Open: Tipsarevic too good for Bhambri (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Chennai Open: Raonic to meet Tipsarevic in final (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Davis Cup semifinals: Nadal plays Gasquet, Djokovic against Nalbandian - Sep 15, 2011
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Murray crashes out of Dubai Open Championships - Feb 25, 2010
- It's all about my serve: Raonic - Jan 09, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Wawrinka set for Chennai Open title defence - Dec 29, 2011
- French Open: Ferrer sends out a warning to the favourites (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Tipsarevic eying maiden Chennai Open title - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: andy murray, atp world tour, australian open, bbc, brisbane international, david ferrer, grand slam, groin injury, janko tipsarevic, london, narrow lead, new year, nicolas almagro, number nine, o2, recurrence, scot, serbia, spain