Murray moves into Australian contender positionJanuary 11th, 2009 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 11 (DPA) Andy Murray heads to Melbourne for the Australian Open on the back of his fifth victory over Roger Federer in seven career ATP matches against the Swiss. In addition, Britain’s fast-rising player has also stopped Rafael Nadal — and Federer — at the Abu Dhabi exhibition a week ago before beating Andy Roddick Saturday to win the Doha ATP trophy for the second year in succession.
2009 is shaping up as the best chance in decades for British men to break a Grand Slam title drought stretching back to Fred Perry in 1936 at Wimbledon.
But world number four Murray is careful not to let his growing reputation overshadow his improving game.
“There are Roger, Rafa and Novak who won last year,” he said in Doha before travelling to Australia. “I like playing in Melbourne but I did not play well last year (first-round loss to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga).
“I feel good going into the Open but after last year I don’t want to get too carried away. I need to concentrate on each match and fight hard.
“I’m one of the top guys but I don’t know if I am the favourite at the Australian Open. But I don’t think I’m close to my best tennis. I still think I can play better and improve.”
Murray’s Doha victory was his ninth title, with six of those lifted since last Jan.
- Murray says he is mentally stronger in comparison to last year - Jan 30, 2011
- Djokovic ends seven year Federer-Nadal domination at the top - Jul 04, 2011
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- Murray vows to rock Nadal's Wimbledon title hopes - Jul 01, 2010
- Federer loses to Berdych, seventh Wimbledon title hopes evaporate (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Top 8 have equal chance of winning London Tour Finals: Federer - Nov 12, 2011
- Federer demolishes Nadal to go into ATP Finals last four - Nov 23, 2011
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- France's No.1 Tsonga demands Roland Garros respect (French Open diary) - May 28, 2010
- Murray, Roddick sniff for Kooyong entries, Federer ponders decision - Jan 04, 2010
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Federer tips Nadal to win Australian Open - Jan 15, 2011
- Federer leads ATP rankings into Australian Open - Jan 18, 2010
- Djokovic the player to beat at Melbourne Park - Jan 15, 2012
- Federer sets up meeting with Murray in the final (Lead) - Jan 29, 2010