Murray keen to overtake Federer in world rankingsMay 24th, 2009 - 2:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 24 (ANI): The world’s third best and Britain’s top tennis player Andy Murray has set himself an ambitious target for this year’s French Open - replacing Roger Federer as the world No 2.
The Scot goes into the clay-court Grand Slam event hoping to reach the second week for the first time.
Murray, who faces Argentina’s Juan Ignacio Chela in today’s first round, admitted: “That’s what I want to try to do here.
“From the start of the tournament, I’ve obviously got a lot to gain and unless Federer wins the tournament, he’s going to lose points. I could do it here at this tournament,” the News of The World quoted Murray, as saying.Unless Federer loses in the first week, Murray needs to reach the semi-finals in Paris to overtake him. Just 12 months ago, Murray was ranked at No 12 and had never reached a Grand Slam quarter-final.
But, after making the last eight at Wimbledon, he went on a stunning run and reached the final of the US Open. Six tournament victories since August have lifted Murray above Novak Djokovic to No 3 - the highest ranking by any Brit since the system was introduced in 1973.
But passing Federer, who is just one short of the record of 14 Grand Slam titles held by Pete Sampras, would be something extra-special.
Murray added: “When you get closer to doing something like that - to overtake Roger Federer in the rankings - it’s big news. (ANI)
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Murray storms into US Open final - Sep 09, 2012
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Olympics: Djokovic says Federer is favourite for gold - Jul 27, 2012
- Federer routs Kohlschreiber in Monte Carlo Masters - Apr 13, 2011
- Djokovic overcomes Nadal to win US Open - Sep 13, 2011
- US Open: Nadal ousts Murray, sets up final clash with Djokovic - Sep 11, 2011
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- Federer out of top three for the first time since 2003 - Oct 17, 2011
- Djokovic stuns defending champion Federer to enter Oz Open final - Jan 27, 2011
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
- US Open: Murray wins Grand Slam title at last (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Murray first Brit to win Grand Slam singles title (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: 12 months, ambitious target, andy murray, argentina, brit, clay court, french open, grand slam event, grand slam titles, juan ignacio chela, may 24, news of the world, novak djokovic, pete sampras, roger federer, scot, semi finals, tennis player, tournament victories, wimbledon