Murray frustrated with fellow Brits not joining him at the topMay 27th, 2009 - 6:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 27 (ANI): World number three Andy Murray has slammed Britain’s men tennis players for a string of “very poor” displays in 2009.
Murray, who takes on Italian Potito Starace in the second round of the French Open, is becoming increasingly frustrated at the lack of fellow countrymen joining him at the top of tennis.
Murray is once again the only Brit in the men’s draw here at Roland Garros with Alex Bogdanovic ranked a lowly 196, Josh Goodall 217 and James Ward 225.
Dan Evans, 19, is Britain’s best young prospect and while he won a Challenger tournament in Jersey in March, he has struggled since and is ranked at 316, The Sun reports.
Murray, who always felt that some Brits do not work hard enough, said: “We had three girls in the main draw here and that is great, but the guys need to step up. The first four, five months have been very poor. They have won so few matches. James Ward won a Challenger recently but before that had struggled.”
“Dan Evans has won a Challenger but since then has not done anything. It’s about sustaining it. It’s not about doing it one week, it’s about doing it 30-40 weeks a year,” he added.
Murray also becomes annoyed when he sees British players do well at Wimbledon then fail to continue the momentum.
Last year, 659-ranked Chris Eaton won three qualifying rounds at Wimbledon and then made the second round but has done little since. (ANI)
- Berlocq beats Simon in Mexican Open - Feb 29, 2012
- Hewitt gets wildcard for Wimbledon - Jun 13, 2012
- Somdev to play Starace in opening round at Miami - Mar 22, 2011
- Laura to become youngest Briton to play at Wimbledon - Jun 09, 2009
- Del Potro takes Nadal's spot in Wimbledon men's draw - Jun 20, 2009
- Murray says he fears becoming Wimbledon champ - Jun 20, 2010
- No Englishman in Wimbledon draw for first time since inception in 1877 - Jun 17, 2010
- Murray invents snack-based nicknames for his tennis pals - Jun 27, 2009
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Murray may skip Davis Cup to give youngsters a chance - Jan 04, 2010
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- CWG Tennis: Paes-Bhupathi cruise into quarter-finals (Roundup) - Oct 05, 2010
- Federer turns 29, motivated for 2010 second-half turnaround - Aug 09, 2010
- CWG Tennis: Jamie Murray wants to make most of lifetime opportunity - Oct 05, 2010
- Bellucci only Brazilian in Olympics tennis singles - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: alex bogdanovic, andy murray, brit, challenger tournament, chris eaton, eaton, fellow brits, fellow countrymen, five months, french open, goodall, london, momentum, potito starace, roland garros, sun, tennis players, three girls, wimbledon, young prospect