Murray claims that he has rediscovered his winning habitApril 2nd, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.2 (ANI): British tennis star Andy Murray insists that he has rediscovered the habit of winning as he prepares for a Masters quarterfinal in Miami today.The British No 1 will take on Fernando Verdasco - who beat him in the fourth round of the Australian Open in January - at the Sony Ericsson Open.”I’ve now been finding ways to win when I’ve not been playing my best. I guess that’s all you can do. At the end of last year my consistency was great and I’ve started this year really great. I need to make sure I keep it going,” The Sun quoted Murray, as saying.Murray is hoping to capture the world number one spot with his recent stupendous form.
Murray has been performing well on grass court as well as on synthetic courts’ as he powered his way through to the final of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells last weekend, but was outclassed by the world number one Rafal Nadal.
“Looking at the matches I’ve won and the win-loss record since Wimbledon, I think if I’d played like that the whole year, then I would be close to finishing No 1,” The Sun quoted Murray, as saying.
Murray currently ranks number four in world, and is pushing hard to dethrone Serbian Novak Djokovic from the third spot.
Murray, 21, however, knows that challenging Nadal’s kingship on the clay court would be something near to impossible, and getting past Roger Federer’s class on the grass court would require tremendous effort.
“If I can improve in the clay-court season then I can definitely move up,” he said. (ANI)
- Britains Andy Murray eyeing no.1 spot - Mar 25, 2009
- Nadal wins his seventh Barcelona Open title - Apr 30, 2012
- Sacked coach Miles Maclagan to become No.1: Murray - Jul 29, 2010
- Murray out of Madrid Open with injury - May 05, 2012
- Madrid Open promoter promises changes to blue clay - May 12, 2012
- Big hitter Murray's time on Grand Slam stage is coming: Masur - Aug 25, 2010
- Nadal wins sixth Rome Masters title - May 21, 2012
- Nadal threatens to boycott Madrid Open over playing surface - May 11, 2012
- Federer routs Kohlschreiber in Monte Carlo Masters - Apr 13, 2011
- Murray will not be 2010 French Open champion, says Becker - May 23, 2010
- Andy Murray splits with coach Maclagan over Corretja's role - Jul 28, 2010
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Easy win for Nadal, but Spaniard unhappy with surface in Madrid - May 10, 2012
- Nadal one win away from French Open title record - Jun 09, 2012
- Murray beats Nadal to win Japan Open - Oct 09, 2011
Tags: andy murray, australian open, bnp paribas, british tennis, clay court, consistency, fernando verdasco, grass court, habit, indian wells, kingship, london, masters, novak djokovic, quarterfinal, rafal, roger federer, sony, tennis star, wimbledon