Muppet Show to make TV comeback after 27 yearsAugust 28th, 2008 - 6:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 28 (ANI): The Muppet Show is poised to return to TV for its first series in 27 years.
Jim Henson-created Kermit the frog and his comedy pals could be on their way back thanks to a new Disney film.
The comedy show, which ran from 1976 to 1981, won an Emmy in 1978 for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series.
In the movie, written by Forgetting Sarah Marshall star and writer Jason Segel, the Muppets reunite to save their studio with one last variety show.
Should the film go well, it opens up the possibility of a television programme, also written by 28-year-old Segel.
“Jason is a massive Muppets fan and is seen as the man to finally bring The Muppet Show back to TV. It will obviously have all its old fans but Jason’’s comedy is hugely popular with youngsters so it will open it up to a whole new audience, Telegraph quoted a source, as saying.
The source added: “If the movie script is popular Jason will write the TV series too. He is already coming up with ideas for it.”
Although there have been a number of spin-offs, including Muppets Tonight in 1996, The Muppet Show originally ran from 1976 to 1981, and made famous characters such as Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear and Gonzo.
In the original series, Kermit, arguably the world’’s most famous frog, was the show’’s stage manager, attempting to keep order amidst the chaos, while being pursued by Miss Piggy. (ANI)
- 'The Muppets' recieves star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 22, 2012
- Muppets meet horrible fates in Saw Parody - Nov 18, 2011
- OK Go & Muppets team up for a music video - Aug 24, 2011
- Disney's Muppets Adaptation To Star Ricky Gervais? - Dec 03, 2010
- 'The Muppets' to hit Indian screens Nov 25 - Nov 04, 2011
- Paltrow to perform at Grammy awards - Feb 03, 2011
- 'The Muppets'-A fun, imaginative return of puppets (IANS Movie Review; Rating: ****) - Nov 26, 2011
- 'The Muppets' sequel in process? - Mar 05, 2012
- Muppets' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' becomes YouTube sensation - Dec 03, 2009
- Miss Piggy becomes latest celeb to chime in on Tiger Woods saga - Dec 17, 2009
- Monsters Inc. and Muppets returning - Apr 26, 2010
- Amy Adams speaks about her 'Muppets' experience - Nov 29, 2011
- Clooney gets challenged for wrestling match - Feb 07, 2012
- Elijah Woods to star in Wilfred - Jun 23, 2011
- Kristin Davis Returns to 'The Happiness Project' - Oct 25, 2010