Mumbai terror attack cost me a recall: VaughanDecember 30th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 30(IANS) Former England captain Michael Vaughan feels last month’s Mumbai terror attacks robbed him of a chance to press his claims to the national side.Vaughan, who stepped down as England captain in August, went to India with the Elite Performance Squad but terror attack in Mumbai led to the cancellation of England Lions games, which he hoped to use to show that he can still deliver.
Vaughan was awarded a central contract earlier this year, but has not played for England since resigning the captaincy.
“It was disappointing but not a huge surprise to learn I had not been picked for England’s tour to the West Indies,” Vaughan wrote in his column in Daily Telegraph.
“England have been consistent with their selection over the past few years and Geoff Miller said a few months ago that I would need to score runs to get back in the side.
“But due to what happened in Mumbai I did not get the chance to play in two matches for the England Lions, and therefore missed the chance to press my claims for a recall.”
Vaughan, however, is determined to earn his place in the side.
“I still feel I am mentally fresh and dangerous as a player but I understand the decision not to pick me.
“Preparing for the summer and scoring runs at the start of the season is the best way for me to force my way back into the England side.”
Vaughan said he is focusing on playing for Yorkshire and revealed he has turned down an offer to join the Lions in New Zealand next year in order to travel to Abu Dhabi with the county.
“I have to knuckle down with (Yorkshire) and start the season as well as I can.If that happens then I will put guys under pressure and still have the chance to play for England again, something that I dearly would like to do during an Ashes summer,” he said.