Mumbai celebrates Tendulkar’s 100th tonMarch 16th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 16 (IANS) Mumbaikars took to the streets to burst crackers and cheer after master blaster Sachin Tendulkar scored his elusive 100th international ton Friday in an Asia Cup match against Bangladesh.
The city’s youth spent thousand of rupees on buying crackers that they burst soon after the batting maestro reached the magic figure in 138 balls, hitting 10 fours and a six.
Congratulating Tendulkar on the achievement, former cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar said: “This is a historical moment for Sachin and for India. It is the greatest victory. It will prove to be motivating for Sachin himself and many others. He is an exceptional talent for our country and I congratulate him for the 100th ton.”
Former Indian test cricketer Balvinder Singh Sandhu said: “It is a fantastic achievement by a player who is in love with the game. Despite all the negative things written about, he has bounced back to prove the media wrong. My hearty congratulations to him and may he score many more tons,” he said.
One of Tendulkar’s biggest fans, singing diva Lata Mangeshkar also extended her heartfelt congratulations to the iconic player. “Sachin ne aaj phir se itihas racha hai. Sachin ko meri bahut shubhkamnayein aur badhaai (Sachin has created history yet again. My best wishes and hearty congratulations to him),” she tweeted.
Bollywood actress Dia Mirza took a dig on the budget session while thanking Tendulkar for scoring a ton. “Thankyou Sachin Tendulkar!!! You have erased budged woes for today,” she tweeted.
Chief Minister of Maharashtra Prithviraj Chavan also extended his congratulations to Tendulkar. “Sachin has been loyal to the country in any situation. He has always given importance to his team and the country’s victory and then his personal achievements. I congratulate him for always making the country win,” he said.
Commoners were not to be left behind in saying how big a hero Tendulkar is. “Sachin is an iconic player - and this event was long overdue. He is a great player, and this milestone just serves to prove it again. The question now is what next - like the famous quote from Star Wars… he is now headed where no cricket player has ever been,” said Abhinava S.N., an e-learning professional.
“Bashing Sachin makes losers feel like achievers. When a man runs 100 miles, he may run 100th the slowest but that doesn’t mean his 99 miles were crap. Meanwhile, the God carries on,” said Raghavendra K., a sports enthusiast.
- Kudos to Sachin's hundred 100s: B-Town - Mar 16, 2012
- India erupts with joy as Sachin hits 100th ton (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- India's finest salute Sachin (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Praise showered on Sachin for century of tons (Intro Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- India is proud of Sachin: Andhra CM - Mar 16, 2012
- PM congratulates Tendulkar on 100th international ton - Mar 16, 2012
- Tendulkar deserves Bharat Ratna: Mamata - Mar 16, 2012
- UP Politicians sing 'Jai Ho' chorus for Sachin - Mar 16, 2012
- Dhumal congrats Sachin - Mar 16, 2012
- Edwards again eyeing Tendulkar's wicket - Nov 12, 2011
- Sachin should keep going: Time - Mar 18, 2012
- Tendulkar would be happy to see an Indian break his record (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Maharashtra Congressman demands museum to honour Sachin - Mar 18, 2012
- Tendulkar completes 22 years in international cricket - Nov 15, 2011
- Rajya Sabha members congratulate Tendulkar, Kohli - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: asia cup, aur, bahut, budget session, chief minister, commoners, crackers, dia mirza, heartfelt congratulations, hearty congratulations, indian test, magic figure, master blaster, meri, personal achievements, prithviraj, rupees, singh sandhu, tendulkar, test cricketer