Mumbai and Uttar Pradesh gain upper hand in Ranji TrophyDecember 27th, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) Mumbai and Uttar Pradesh have gained a stranglehold over their Ranji trophy quarter-final matches against Himachal Pradesh and Gujarat, while Karnataka are well placed to take the first-innings honours by stumps on the second day Saturday. In the fourth match, Tamil Nadu are struggling at 188 for five in reply to Bengal’s 305. In Ahmedabad, Mumbai are heading for a big first-inning lead against Himachal Pradesh, scoring 405 for six wickets, resuming at 19 for no loss, thanks to a century by skipper Waseem Jaffer (108) and 98 by Rohit Sharma. Himachal were bowled out for 250 on the first day Friday.
At Vadodara, Praveen Kumar ran through the Gujarat’s first innings to give Uttar Pradesh a 188-run lead. By stumps, Uttar Pradesh were 76 for one after dismissing Gujarat for 117 in reply to their own first-innings score of 305. Praveen claimed five wickets for 29 runs and Imtiyaz Ahmed bagged three for 32 for UP.
In Mumbai, Saurashtra were struggling at 183 for nine in reply to Karnataka’s 305 in the first innings with all Karnataka bowlers, except Aiyappa, were among the wickets. For Karnataka their skipper Robin Uthappa (139) had scored hundred on the first day.
In Bangalore, Tamil Nadu were 188 for five in reply to Bengal’s first-innings total of 345. Almost all top Tamil Nadu batsman got a start but could not convert them into big scores. For Bengal, overnight not out batsman Manoj Tiwari added ten more runs to his 134 before being bowled by Lakshmipathi Balaji.
At Ahmedabad: Himachal 250 first innings (Sarandeep Singh 75, A. Mannu 61; Abhishek Nayyar 6-45). Mumbai 405/6 (Wasim Jaffer 108, Rohit Sharma 98; V. Bhatia 3-136).
At Vadodara: Uttar Pradesh 305 first innings (Suresh Raina 93, Parvinder Singh 64; A Makda 3-40, Monish Parmar 2-74). Gujarat 117(T. Patel 43 not out; Parveen Kumar 5-29).
At Mumbai: Karnataka 305 first innings (Robin Uthappa 139; Ravinder jadeja 5-82, J.Odedra 3-68). Suarashtra 183 (Jadeja 38; Sunil Joshi 2-32, C. Raghu 2/8, R. Vinay Kumar, 2-46).
At Bangalore: Bengal 345 first innings (Manoj Tewari 144, Dibendu Chakraborty 57, C. Ganapathy 5-59, Lakshmipathy Balaji 2-59, R. Ashwin 2-88). Tamil Nadu 188/5 ( Abhinav Mukund 47, Dinesh Karthik 46; Ranadeb Bose 2-44).
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra well placed against Railways - Dec 22, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Ravindra Jadeja strikes triple ton against Orissa - Nov 04, 2011
- Mumbai and Haryana make Ranji Trophy quarterfinals - Dec 24, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: TN, Karnataka, MP, Baroda post fine wins - Dec 09, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra, Rajasthan win big - Dec 23, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Rohit Sharma, Manoj Tiwary hit unbeaten tons - Nov 03, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Karnataka, Punjab win; Mukund strikes double ton - Nov 12, 2011
- Second round of Ranji Trophy promises to be competitive - Nov 09, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Mumbai begin with a big win over Railways - Nov 06, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi bowled out for 212 against Tamil Nadu - Nov 17, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Baroda tottering at 319/8 against Delhi - Nov 05, 2009
- Ranji Trophy: Railways tottering at 164/8 against Assam (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Mumbai, Uttar Pradesh close to Ranji semi-final berths - Dec 28, 2008
- Double century by Niraj Patel; tons by Tanmay, Mukund, Rayudu - Nov 11, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi fightback against MP - Dec 06, 2011