Mukund scores maiden half century as India reach 102/2 (Lunch report)July 9th, 2011 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
Roseau (Dominica), July 8 (IANS/CMC) Abinhav Mukund stroked his maiden Test half-century to keep India ahead at lunch on the third morning of the third Test here Friday.
Two early wickets had raised West Indies’ hopes but Mukund (52) and V.V.S. Laxman (30) dropped anchor with an 84-run third wicket partnership to guide India to 102/2 at lunch.
At the interval, the visitors were still 102 runs adrift of West Indies’ first innings total of 204 all out.
West Indies bowlers struck key blows inside the first hour, removing opener Murali Vijay (5) and Rahul Dravid (5) to leave the visitors 18 for two at Windor Park.
However, the 21-year-old Mukund fashioned a solid 52 to frustrate the West Indies. The left-handed Mukund has so far faced 137 balls and struck three fours in a composed innings while Laxman has been equally composed in his 73-ball knock.
Resuming at eight without loss, India lost Vijay in the day’s third over when he pushed tentatively at a full length delivery from the probing pacer Fidel Edwards and nicked a catch behind to Carlton Baugh.
Three overs later, Dravid had his defence breached by captain and medium pacer Darren Sammy, leaving India in a spot of bother.
However, Mukund and Laxman then joined hands as West Indies, without the services of the ill pacer Ravi Rampaul, struggled to maintain pressure on the Indians.
- Windies facing tall order as India build lead - Jul 09, 2011
- India grind out big lead as Laxman eyes a century - Jul 02, 2011
- Lunch Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, Third day, Third Test - Jul 08, 2011
- Sammy hails depleted attack for keeping India in check - Jul 09, 2011
- Edwards hits defiant debut century but India retain control - Jul 10, 2011
- Chanderpaul leads defiant West Indies to a draw - Jul 11, 2011
- Put in, India A barely manage 230 in third 'Test' (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Sammy's half-century in vain as Aussies wrap up series - Apr 28, 2012
- Windies rally but facing huge task to beat Aussies - Apr 26, 2012
- Tiwari and Saha keep India afloat in third Test - Jun 19, 2012
- Chanderpaul's 23rd ton keeps Windies fighting (Lunch report) - Jul 11, 2011
- West Indies A 127/2 at lunch on second day - Jun 18, 2012
- Rampaul's triple strike leaves India struggling (Lunch report) - Jun 29, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, day three, third Test - Jul 09, 2011
- Windies staring down barrel after openers fall (Lunch report) - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,