Motorsports: Karun, team fourth in Sao Paulo practiceSeptember 14th, 2012 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo (Brazil), Sep 14 (IANS) The JRM Racing Team, preparing for this weekend’s fourth round of the FIA World Endurance Championship, enjoyed good free practice sessions at the iconic Interlagos circuit here Friday with their HPD-ARX03a car clocking the fourth overall quickest time of one minute and 24.265 seconds.
The team comprising Karun Chandhok, David Brabham and Peter Dumbreck finished the first day of practice for the Six Hours of Sao Paulo endurance race as the fastest petrol car and the highest classified privateer team.
Over the two 90-minute sessions, the crew completed 77 laps running through a programme of tyre evaluation, set up and circuit familiarisation.
Chandhok, who has never driven at the famed Interlagos circuit, had to contend with rain in both sessions as Dumbreck, who last raced at Interlagos two years ago in GT1, set the quickest time of the day in the second 90-minute practice session.
“I am very excited about racing here in Brazil for the first time. I came here last year as the reserve driver for Team Lotus and did lots of laps on my bike, but never got a chance to drive around Interlagos,” Chandhok said.
“I love coming to the older circuits with a lot of character and this certainly is one of them.
“Today was about learning the circuit as I have never driven here before. It started drizzling at the start of the second session when I was out, but it was useful to get some data in all types of conditions.
“We concentrated more on race preparation and we got plenty of information and ideas to study overnight. The traffic doesn’t seem as bad as I thought. With fewer cars it isn’t so bad, except in the very narrow mid sector,” he added.
“We didn’t set out to get a quick time and we know that the other teams are going to come back strong tomorrow, but for now, I’d say it’s been a good day,” Chandhok said.
- Karun's team 11th quickest at Le Mans - Jun 14, 2012
- Motorsports: Karun and team in top 10 - Aug 25, 2012
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- JRM finish 17th in Endurance race - Mar 18, 2012
- Karun's team to start fifth in World Endurance Racing - Mar 17, 2012
- World Endurance: Karun and team qualify eighth (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Motorsport: Karun, team finish sixth at Le Mans - Jun 17, 2012
- Karun and team to start 11th at Le Mans - Jun 15, 2012
- Karun Chandhok moves to touring cars - Jan 12, 2012
- Chandhok finishes seventh at Silverstone - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: car clocking, david brabham, endurance race, fia world, free practice sessions, interlagos circuit, jrm racing, laps, minute practice session, minute sessions, peter dumbreck, petrol car, quick time, sao paulo brazil, second session, six hours, team lotus, time of the day, tyre, world endurance championship