MotoGP: Simoncelli’s body returns to ItalyOctober 26th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Oct 26 (IANS/AKI) The body of Italy’s Marco Simoncelli, who died following a crash during in Malaysian Moto Grand Prix in Sepang, has arrived in Rome.
The Malaysia Airlines flight from Kuala Lumpur arrived Tuesday at Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci International Airport. Accompanying the body were Simoncelli’s father Paolo, his girlfriend Kate and friend and former MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi.
“Marco was great and will never be forgotten,” Rossi said.
Rossi, 31, said Simoncelli, 24, was “like a younger brother to me”.
Rossi dismissed rumors that he would retire from racing.
“I don’t know who said this. It surely wasn’t me. Maybe it’s a news that sells more newspapers,” he said.
Simoncelli Sunday suffered serious trauma to his head, neck and chest following an accident on lap two after losing control of his Honda. He was hit by countryman Rossi and American Colin Edwards.
Simoncelli held sixth place on this year?s tour entering the race at Sepang.
- Moto GP rider Simoncelli dies after horrific crash at Sepang (Lead) - Oct 23, 2011
- Formula One drivers pay tributes to Wheldon and Simoncelli - Oct 29, 2011
- Indian GP champions dedicate victory to Wheldon, Simoncelli - Oct 30, 2011
- Spanish model caught hiding cocaine in fake breasts - Dec 22, 2011
- Stoner wins fifth straight Australian GP - and world title - Oct 17, 2011
- No worries about safety at Indian GP: Ecclestone - Oct 24, 2011
- Mahindra Racing enters Italian Championship with Indian rider - Dec 01, 2011
- MotoGP still a distant dream for Indian riders: Mahindra Racing - Nov 15, 2011
- Japanese rider Tomizawa dies at San Marino race - Sep 05, 2010
- Ferrari denies rift between drivers - Apr 21, 2010
- Final Moto GP race to take place in memory of Simoncelli - Nov 05, 2011
- Passenger attacks pilot over delayed flight - Aug 15, 2012
- Moscow raceway targets MotoGP standard - Aug 23, 2012
- Fugitive in Berlusconi sex scandal arrested - Apr 16, 2012
- Rome airport hosts Leonardo da Vinci exhibit - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: airlines flight, champion, colin edwards, countryman, crash, girlfriend kate, honda, italy rome, kuala lumpur, leonardo da vinci, losing control, malaysia airlines, moto grand prix, motogp, rossi marco, sepang, simoncelli, trauma, valentino, valentino rossi