Moscow Raceway lacks zing: PetrovJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Volokolamsk (Russia), July 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The new Moscow Raceway is fit to host Formula One but it lacks the excitement of a top-level circuit, Caterham driver Vitaly Petrov says.
The four-kilometre track on the outskirts of Moscow is hosting its maiden competitive event this weekend, the eighth and ninth races of the Renault World Series.
“The raceway could have been done a little bit more interesting,” said Petrov after a couple of exhibition laps. “It doesn’t have enough zing.”
“It lacks high-speed corners, some sections of the track are a bit slow, and it doesn’t bring a lot of pleasure to go through (corners) in second or third gear.”
But he praised the fact that his homeland at last has a top-notch racing facility.
“The main thing is that it is Russian,” Petrov said. “Finally, we have a raceway that can hold Renault World Series and other classes.”
The Moscow Raceway could be decent enough for Formula One but need massive infrastructural upgrades, Petrov added.
Petrov became the first Russian in F1 in 2010 and took the only podium of his career with third place at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last year.
He became known for a comparatively aggressive overtaking instinct and during his first two years in the sport with Renault before dropping to the back of grid with Caterham for 2012.
Petrov got his best result of this season with 13th in last month’s European Grand Prix, but was running as high as 10th with a chance of taking Caterham’s first points before an accident derailed his chances.
- Dull Moscow track is a shame: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Petrov's F1 career in danger - Aug 31, 2012
- Petrov looking at three teams for 2013 - Jul 28, 2012
- A race in Moscow would benefit F1: Fisichella - Jun 06, 2012
- 'Moscow Raceway is suitable for Formula 1' - Jul 04, 2012
- We must gain ground on rivals, says Petrov - Jun 29, 2012
- Caterham pair disappoint in Silverstone qualifying - Jul 07, 2012
- Hexis McLaren win maiden GT1 Russia race - Sep 03, 2012
- Hamilton wants Moscow F1 night race - Jul 15, 2012
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Moscow raceway targets MotoGP standard - Aug 23, 2012
- Hamilton charges to pole in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2012
- Unwell Glock ruled out of Valencia race - Jun 24, 2012
- McLaren must bounce back in Germany: Prost - Jul 16, 2012
- Webber natches British Grand Prix win from Alonso - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: australian grand prix, caterham, excitement, exhibition, f1, formula one, instinct, laps, little bit, new moscow, outskirts, pleasure, podium, renault, ria novosti, top notch, vitaly petrov, vm, world series, zing