Morkel to miss gameApril 18th, 2012 - 11:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, April 18 (IANS) All-rounder Albie Morkel’s absence coupled with a hamstring niggle to skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni and opener Murali Vijay’s poor form provide a none too good backdrop for Chennai Super Kings’ game against Pune Warriors here Thursday.
However, Super Kings coach Stephen Fleming, speaking to the media here Wednesday, believed that his team still had sufficient firepower to pull off a win.
Morkel left for South Africa to attend the funeral of his close friend Rip Louis Vorster who was shot dead in Namibia recently, but it is Vijay’s continuing poor run in the IPL that Fleming is seized of.
“The discussion will certainly revolve around players who have not been doing what they are expected to do. We would like a player to be consistent with his performance. The coach’s job is not easy one. It is up to me to take Vijay to his usual form,” said Fleming when asked whether Vijay would be replaced by either Abhinav Mukund or Anirudha Srikkanth or Wriddhiman Saha.
“He (Mukund) is pretty much close to hundred percent. He is pretty much into selection discussion. We have good cricketers in the team like Srikkanth and Wridhman Saha and it is a matter of balancing act, which is good for us,” said Fleming.
Regarding Dhoni, the coach assured that the captain would be fit to play on the morrow after receiving treatment for his hamstring injury that he sustained in the previous game.
“I think Dhoni is fine. He has been having treatment for the hamstring injury sustained in the last game. We expect him to play his full part in the game tomorrow,” Fleming asserted.
- Under no pressure to perform: Wriddhiman Saha - May 19, 2011
- Super Kings opt to field against Daredevils - May 12, 2012
- Super Kings confident as Gilly is ruled out - Apr 27, 2012
- Kings XI Punjab win the toss: elect to bat - Apr 28, 2012
- Kings XI opt to field against Super Kings - May 17, 2012
- IPL scoreboard: Chennai Super Kings vs Pune Warriors - Apr 26, 2011
- Super Kings opt to field against Royals - May 10, 2012
- Dhoni inspires Chennai Super Kings to victory (Lead) - Apr 09, 2011
- Super Kings defeat Cape Cobras for first win - Sep 29, 2011
- Injured Dravid, Yuvraj out; Abhimanyu, Saha in Test squad (Lead) - Jan 28, 2010
- We will look to cash in on home advantage, says Saha - Sep 21, 2011
- Advantage Super Kings against Kings XI Punjab - Apr 27, 2012
- Gilchrist dents Super Kings' playoff chances - May 17, 2012
- Scoreboard: Rajasthan Royals vs Super Kings, IPL - May 11, 2012
- Mumbai Indians' character will be tested against Super Kings - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: abhinav, absence, backdrop, balancing act, cricketers, dhoni, firepower, ipl, kings game, last game, mahendra singh, mukund, namibia, rounder, south africa, srikkanth, stephen fleming, vijay, vorster, warriors