More trouble for Majola over unauthorised IPL paymentsMarch 26th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 26 (IANS) South Africa’s top police unit Hawks are investigating how Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) suspended chief executive Gerald Majola received 1.8 million rands in unauthorised bonuses for hosting the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Champions’ Trophy series in 2009.
The City Press reported Sunday that Hawks made a surprise visit to CSA offices, seized documents and also questioned Majola at his home this week.
They Hawks swung into action two days after Majola was suspended from CSA and was asked to face a disciplinary hearing.
Majola was suspended by the CSA executive at an emergency meeting held last Saturday at O.R. Tambo airport in Kempton Park.
The daily reported that if “found there was overwhelming evidence that Majola had violated the Companies Act and recommended that the 52-year-old be suspended, a civil claim be instituted against him and that he should be criminally prosecuted.”
- South African sports minister to meet CSA bosses - Apr 26, 2012
- Feud derailing South Africa's World Cup hopes - Jan 24, 2011
- India to play one-off Twenty20 in South Africa - Mar 05, 2012
- Gary Kirsten to be appointed South African coach - Jun 04, 2011
- Chokers tag will stay with team: Cricket South Africa chief - Mar 28, 2011
- Cricket South Africa begins search for new Proteas head coach - Dec 23, 2010
- Kirsten takes over as South Africa's coach - Jun 06, 2011
- Fatigue will not be a factor: Dhoni - Mar 28, 2012
- Cricket South Africa says sorry over announcing Gibbs contract end prematurely - Dec 06, 2010
- S African Sports Minister to mediate Wanderers row - Jul 24, 2009
- Strict curfew ensures that no South African player can do a Haider on tour: CSA boss - Nov 12, 2010
- South African cricketer Norman Gordon celebrates 100th birthday - Aug 06, 2011
- Anil Kumble to coach budding SA spinners - Aug 13, 2010
- IPL turned around Cricket South Africa's fortunes - Aug 30, 2009
- Cricket South Africa chief calls for 'icon status' for India-South Africa series - Jan 07, 2011
Tags: champions trophy, chief executive, companies act, cricket south africa, csa offices, disciplinary hearing, hawks, ipl, johannesburg, kempton park, last saturday, overwhelming evidence, police unit, premier league, rands, surprise visit, tambo, trophy series