Monfils to go for high-tech machine for knee problem (French Open diary)June 6th, 2009 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 6 (DPA) French tennis player Gael Monfils will go for a portable high-tech machine to treat his constant knee problems.
The Frenchman is hoping to get his hands on one during his month in London for the grass-court season.
With plans to purchase a portable unit of the heat-and-ice Zamar machine - originally designed for horses - Monfils is convinced he can get the problem under control.
As a Wimbledon junior champion in 2004, Monfils has twice reached the third round, so his grass record is respectable.
The 22-year-old will travel this weekend to the capital to prepare for the Queen’s event from Monday and is hoping for some useful tips from his Australian coach Roger Rasheed, who once handled Lleyton Hewitt.
“Roger told me that he’s got an interesting recipe for me. First, he wants me to take a rest and then he thinks he’s got the solution for me so that I enjoy playing on grass more. If I listen to him carefully, we’ll have a very good Wimbledon.”
Monfils said he’s looking forward to the grass season. “As far as my knee is concerned, I’ll continue using the Zamar machine, I’ll even buy one, as well.
“In three weeks I have another opportunity perhaps to do something excellent during a Grand Slam. So I’m really well focused for the upcoming three weeks.”
Vilas praises heir apparent Del Potro
Argentine tennis legend Guillermo Vilas has praised the latest challenger to his record of being one of only two Argentine players to win a Grand Slam title, saying French Open semi-finalist Juan Del Potro has the potential to win Grand Slams in future.
“It’s great the way he handled the match,” said the champion at Roland Garros more than three decades ago. “He has a great serve and hit many lines.”
Del Potro, fifth in the world at age 20, forced Federer to come from behind twice in the third and fifth sets to finally steal the dramatic victory.
“He will win many Grand Slams in the future,” added the four-time Grand Slam champion of Del Potro.
Vilas called Federer the overwhelming favourite in his bid for a first Paris title Sunday when he plays Swede Robin Soderling. “Everybody wants Federer to win.”
- Federer beats Del Potro to capture second title in Rotterdam - Feb 19, 2012
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian Wells: Federer to face Del Potro in quarters - Mar 15, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- Djokovic beats Federer at Indian Wells to take world no.2 ranking - Mar 20, 2011
- Olympics: Kobe Bryant watches Federer win - Aug 04, 2012
- Giant killer Del Potro believes he is the biggest tennis star on the circuit - Sep 16, 2009
- Nadal to meet Federer in semis - Mar 17, 2012
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- Calls for roof may intensify after rain delays in US Open - Sep 13, 2010
- Del Potro fulfils dream with US Open upset of Federer (Lead) - Sep 15, 2009
- Federer-Berdych set-up Madrid Open final - May 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,