Moneywise it will be a tough year for golf: JeevJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 3 (IANS) Indian golfer Jeev Milkha Singh believes the global economic crunch will make it a tough year for golf as getting sponsors would be a major problem.
Jeev, however, did not think it would be a major hassle for Indian golf to get sponsors as most corporate honchos play the sport.
“With the way the economy is going, it is going to be a tough year for golf. Hopefully all the big events will get the sponsors. In India, top CEOs play golf so it shouldn’t be that big a problem here but still it’s going to be tough,” Jeev said at the launch here Tuesday of the second edition of the Gujarat Kensville Challenge.
Jeev also advised the youngsters in India to play as many tournaments as possible and said the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI) was a great platform to start a career.
“PGTI is a fantastic opportunity for youngsters. Most important thing in golf is to get tournament experience. It is a great place to start, there is good money as well.”
The twice Asian Tour Order of Merit winner (2006, 2008) also talked of India’s chances of doing well in the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.
“India has a very good chance of winning a medal at the Olympics, top Indian players are good enough to compete against anyone. But they will have to qualify first.”
Jeev also joined in the debate raging across the country over making sports persons eligible for the Bharat Ratna, the country’s highest civilian award.
“Anyone who has excelled in their respective fields, be it a sports person, doctor or media person should get a Bharat Ratna. If three or four people are deserving then it should go to all of them. There has to be proper criteria though for picking the awardee. This is my personal opinion.”
- European Challenge Tour to debut in India with Kensville Challenge - Dec 13, 2010
- Indians start favourites at Gujarat Kensville Golf Challenge - Jan 25, 2012
- Amit Dube wins Gujarat Kensville qualifier; Bajaj, Bhasin also make it - Jan 04, 2012
- Shiv Kapur hopes to gain from Jeev's tips at Kensville Challenge - Jan 13, 2012
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 17, 2011
- Rising Indian star Lahiri gets Dubai Desert call-up - Jan 29, 2010
- Golf fast catching up with cricket in popularity (With image) - Jun 17, 2012
- My main goal is to stay fit: Jeev Milkha Singh - Jan 03, 2012
- Sports ministry wants inclusion of sports for Bharat Ratna - Apr 15, 2011
- Puravankara takes Bangalore for Louis Philippe golf - Nov 09, 2011
- Indians start as strong challengers in Avantha Masters - Feb 16, 2011
- Ten teams confirmed for Louis Philippe golf - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian Open golf moves to Bangalore - Aug 21, 2012
- Gurgaon down Noida in Louis Philippe Cup - Mar 09, 2012
- Gangjee tied 5th in Singapore Open golf, Jeev shares 9th place - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: 2016 olympics, asian tour, awardee, bharat ratna, economic crunch, good chance, gujarat, jeev milkha singh, launch, media person, merit winner, order of merit, personal opinion, pgti, professional golf tour, proper criteria, sports person, top ceos, tournament experience, youngsters