Money not the root of my sadness: RonaldoSeptember 5th, 2012 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 5 (IANS) Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has said that money is not the reason he felt ’sad’ after failing to celebrate his two goals against Granada Sunday.
The striker’s words have sparked speculation that he is looking to renew his contract with Real Madrid at the start of his fourth season in the club, reports Xinhua.
Ronaldo earns around 12 million euros a year at Real Madrid, but recent signings, such as that of Didier Drogba for Shanghai Shenhua mean that he has dropped to tenth in the list of top-earning footballers.
With Spain being involved in an economic crisis with around 25 percent of the workforce unemployed, the fact that Ronaldo could be looking to earn more money has not been received with sympathy.
“That I am feeling sad and have expressed this sadness has created a huge stir. I am accused of wanting more money, but one day it will be shown that this is not the case,” said a statement posted on Ronaldo’s facebook page.
“At this point I just want to guarantee to the Real Madrid fans that my motivation, dedication, commitment and desire to win all competitions will not be affected. I have too much respect for myself and for Real Madrid to ever give less to the club than all I am capable of.”
This raises the question about the relations between Ronaldo and several players in the Real Madrid squad.
Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos sent messages of congratulations after Barca’s Andres Iniesta was named UEFA player of the year last week, while Marcelo, previously Ronaldo’s friend in the Madrid dressing room, recently said he would vote for Casillas as a candidate for the prestigious Balon D’Or, which Ronaldo is desperate to win.
Meanwhile, Madrid midfielder, Xabi Alonso, showed scant sympathy for his teammate when asked about the affair while on duty with the Spain squad.
“I’m happy, but everyone is how they are,” said Alonso, while fellow Madrilista, Alvaro Arbeloa said if Ronaldo needed more affection from the dressing room “he would receive it”.
Finally Rayo Vallecano coach Paco Jemez joked that if Ronaldo was sad at Madrid, whose annual budget would just about cover Ronaldo’s salary, “we would welcome him with open arms”.
Ronaldo is currently injured after receiving a blow on his thigh against Granada, however, he is expected to recover in time to return to training with Portugal Friday.
- Why is Cristiano sad despite winning? - Sep 03, 2012
- Casillas dismisses Mourinho rift fears with Spain's WC stars - Jul 20, 2010
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Mourinho's Real Madrid win Spanish League title - May 03, 2012
- Three month ban for Granada's Dani Benitez - May 10, 2012
- Madrid eyes Wenger, Loew after fallout with Mourinho - Jan 25, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- No England star in FIFA World Player of the Year award - Oct 27, 2010
- Di Maria's hamstring injury a blow to Real Madrid - Nov 07, 2011
- Easy win for Real Madrid, but Ronaldo suffers injury - Sep 03, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: affection, andres iniesta, arbeloa, balon, casillas, dressing room, drogba, economic crisis, facebook, footballers, midfielder, real madrid squad, ronaldo, sadness, sergio ramos, shanghai, striker, teammate, xabi alonso, xinhua